Monday, January 21, 2013

My Flog for January 21 - Bed'sCalling + A Blast From The Past - ORANGES ,,, or beer?

t's been another long day - up at 5, left home at 6:30, and a foggy walk to the bus stop. I didn't realize the sidewalks were icy until one of my feet started to slip-slide away. Walking on the grass where possible and carefully plodding my way over driveways got me safely to the bus stop, though. I don't know if there were any eagles around this morning - it was so foggy, plus the bus window was really dirty, plus late morning light from a hidden sun. I should have just slept all the way to Steveston.

 I was certainly tired enough - when I went to bed last night, I was so exhausted my body felt it was floating away, but unfortunately, I found it really hard to get to sleep. After two hours of tossing and turning and checking the clock, I started my little mind trick - this time it was thinking of 2 countries that begin with each letter of the alphabet. I'm not sure how far I got, but it did the job.

Meanwhile, I'm going to cheat with a 2-year old post from my Tamar's Day Off blog. I really don't have the energy or the awakeness to tackle the rewrite of my chapter 1, even though there are some really cool ideas going through my head as to where this story is going.

So - for those of you who haven't read this entry, hope you enjoy it. For those of you who have read - my apologies.


ORANGES....or beer? I don't think so

We've been married for 36 1/2 years, which is actually a number that seems way out of whack. I don't even feel old enough for that, and probably wouldn't feel as old as I do, if we weren't married that long. However, tonight made me realize just how well we know each other, a result of these long long years dragging behind our heels.

Due to a work injury, DH has been waiting almost three weeks for a Worker's Compensation claim to be approved (hopefully), so money is a wee bit tight right now, but we do have enough to buy the occasional potato and loaf of bread. At the produce market, where fruit and veggies are way cheaper than the supermarkets (I don't think they even call them supermarkets here in BC), I picked up two plump and juicy oranges and laid them gently in the basket he was carrying. Obviously not gently enough.

"Don't you realize these are going to cost a dollar each?'

So I picked them up and tossed them back in the orange bin, and we picked out our carrots and potatoes - russets for the guys' french fries, and reds for the gals' garlic mashed - yum.

On the way back home, he mentioned our Monster needed gas, so he thought he would go to the Petro and get some - and maybe pick up a half-dozen beer.

Even the air in the truck stopped breathing. I was dying to say it, but he didn't give me the chance, he just pulled into the driveway and parked.

So I'm blogging, he's upstairs with a glass of fruit punch, and I guess he'll do without beer - either until he gets a cheque or until beer costs less than oranges.

37 years in August.


  • Breakfast - Toast and Coffee
  • Lunch - Spinach Salad, Yogurt, Muffin
  • Dinner - Leftovers from last night - Hash - and it was some good, b'y!
  • Snacks - Hot Chocolate, Banana, Three Musketeers Bar, and another Muffin

No comments:

Post a Comment