Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My Flog for January 9 - Riding, Shopping, Goats a' Cropping

Day Off #1 and I just couldn't get up at 5 this morning, no matter how easy it would have been to get a cup of coffee at that time. I just stayed in bed, actually until almost 9, which really threw off my inner clock for the rest of the day.

After breakfast, and lunch a mere 3 hours later, Breehy and I walked/rode to Walmart. I don't know how she felt, but my legs were not happy at all. I found it hard to imagine a mere 4 months ago I was pedalling all over Surrey, and now I couldn't even push the pedals up a little bit of a slight incline. Oh well. 

And as far as my inner clock was concerned? I kept saying "Good Morning" to people I met on the path - until I looked at my watch and saw it was 1:25 pm. 

Here is a picture of one of my favourite blackberry patches, just dozing away the winter. I can't wait to rob these spikey branches of their luscious fruit come August - the berries I got last summer ran out a couple of months ago. I was almost tempted to spend $3 on about half a cup of them at Walmart before Christmas, but decided they wouldn't be as good as the ones I hand-picked last summer.
I had a very specific list of things to pick up at Walmart, as the total couldn't exceed the number of dollars at my disposal, but one of the things I really wanted wasn't on their shelves. I had planned to make the best Corn Bread as a side for dinner, and as a special treat for Lizzie, who absolutely loves it - but Walmart doesn't sell corn meal. After a few minutes of indecision, I decided to bike farther up Nordel Way to Save-On Foods for that, even though it was a bit of more uphill. And what did I see on the way?
Yet another Tim Hortons coming - that will only make 4 within a 2 mile radius. It seems the more donuts that are available to me, the less I want them. I can't remember the last time a Timbit or a Sour Cream donut gave up its life for me - we were going Christmas Eve after the carol service, but the one near there was closed., so we just came home for Hot Chocolate. And probably muffins, or Christmas cookies ... or Scottish tablet.

After a Corn Meal (and butter and cheese slice) purchase at Save-On (which is not a true name, as that store is so bloody expensive, and the only reason I bought the last two items is because they were on sale), I was glad to sit of Breehy as gravity pulled us towards home. Such a nice ride on a mostly downhill path. When we crossed the pedestrian/bike crossing on 134th Street I once again was thankful I wasn't in the middle when somebody crashed their car into it, smashing the rails off - they were lying on the side of the road.
These goats live on the other side of the Power Tower path. They're pretty much fenced in at the far end of the field, but my camera's zoom lens brought them a bit closer. I'm not kidding.
Their owners had fenced off a young holly bush - which is good for the goats, as holly berries are poisonous

  • Breakfast - Toast and Coffee. Lots and lots of coffee.
  • Lunch - Pea Soup 
  • Dinner - Alberta Hot Pot, which is like a casserole (maybe it is a casserole) made with carrots, turnip, potatoes, onions and ground beef and swamped with Onion Soup Mix diluted in a cup of hot water, and it is extraordinary delicious, Corn Bread, and a Chocolate Chip muffin. Did I mention I also made Chocolate Chip Muffins and Apricot Muffins this afternoon?
  • Snacks - Diet Pepsi, Yogurt, Apricot Muffin, and a square of chocolate
I started to write a flog again, instead of a blog, as I thought writing down everything I eat would help me lose weight. So far it's not happening. Maybe if I wrote instead of baking, it would help.

No comments:

Post a Comment