Monday, March 27, 2017

If Anyone Has Lost 20 Pounds - Look No Farther. They Are Here ....

After a chat with Nikkie, where I said I didn't have enough ideas to blog something witty and/or enlightening every night, she reminded me of a couple of years ago when I actually blogged every single night for a whole, long 365-day year. That was when I kept track of every thing I ate that day, and now Facebook reminds of these days, and the posts where I was either complaining about how tired I was, or how sick I was, or how I hated travelling on bus and sky train to and from work.
That year, I lost 20 pounds in the first couple of months, and kept it off for about that year. So keeping a public diary kinda helped, a little bit. However, the year later I gained most of it back.
So I tried a different diet path. Not keeping track on a blog, but on an app, which one I can't remember, which kept me truly in line. There went that 20 pounds again .... until Howard got sick.
He spent so much time in the hospital between spring and autumn, and I burned so many calories walking to and from his bedside and my bed. On hot summer days I sweated my heart out - I'd walk home in 30 degree heat, hop in the shower, put on clean clothes, and walk back again. On rainy days I'd get soaked so wouldn't necessarily need a shower when I got home, just a change of clothes. You'd think I would have lost weight then, wouldn't you? Well, I probably would have, if there wasn't a Second Cup in the hospital lobby, and that is where I got hooked on carbs again, especially the ones baked in the cranberry scones.
So, he came home 40 pounds lighter, which actually made me glad I had kept off that 20 pounds or he would have weighed more than me, which wouldn't have been a good thing. So, for almost a year, he sat in his chair watching TV, or lay on the bed, just getting back his strength and stamina - and I sat in my chair, or lay on the bed beside him, scared to leave him for more than a bathroom break, which led to that blessed 20 pounds finding their way back to me.
I guess I should be glad it was only 20 pounds.
Maybe some day, I'll get rid of them again, and I probably will pretty soon, as I'm doing a purge of stuff I really don't need and just took a bag of too tight clothes to Value Village.
And hopefully, I'll soon get some motivation back, so I won't have to revert to boring with my food lists - yes, in case you're wondering, it's still toast and coffee for breakfast.







No comments:

Post a Comment