Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Third Monday in a Row - It Must Be Wednesday

I think I've finally got the days of the week down pat. I hauled in the garbage bins this morning, so I know it's Wednesday. However, I'll have to keep checking the calendar until Saturday - I'll know when it's Saturday because hubby won't be waking up at the ungodly hour of 5am to go to work.
Don't get me wrong. He'll still be waking up, just not to go to work. And unfortunately he'll probably wake me up too. I'm not at my best at 5 am, let me tell you.
I never was an early riser. In fact that was probably one of the only things that my peers and I had in common as teenagers - getting up to go to school was really tough. When I graduated, I went to university, where I didn't have a mom to haul my lazy butt out of  bed, but if I remember correctly, I didn't miss too many morning classes. Unless these were the ones for the administration course that I flunked. I don't think I ever told anyone I flunked a university course. However, I'm still broadcasting the A+ I got on an English paper. Oh well.
After university, I went teaching. Again I had early morning rises, and this time I couldn't be late, because there would be a whack of grade 5 Energizer Bunnies in a teacherless classroom. This was in Eastport, Newfoundland, where I spent some serious time in front of the chalkboard spinning yarns about an overly obese uncle with a tiny car, yarns I illustrated along the way on that chalkboard. Seeing the Principal's face stuck in the door window, however, really cramped my style, so history it was.
I taught for 23 years, but the stories kinda ended that first year. Thanks a lot, Mr Principal, sir.
When we moved to BC, I started working in retail, so that would have halfway ended my early morning rises, at least days when I started in the afternoon, except I had still had kids that had to be called for school. And by the time they  grew up and didn't need a mom to call them, I was spending more time opening the store than not. It didn't get really bad though, until we moved an hour and a half away from the store where I worked, and on opening days I had to get up at the ungodly hour of .... you got it ... 5am.
Sometimes you have to deal with vicious circles, don't you?
So .... let me see. If today is Wednesday, then tomorrow is Thursday and the next day is Friday. Two more sleep-in mornings until 5am Saturday.
Yawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment