Monday, October 14, 2013

RERUNS from 2011 - A Poem and A Story (I think they're both click-worthy)

This poem, along with others, can be found at http://tamarsdayoff.blogspot.ca/ , along with some posts from a 'retired' blog. For the other poems, just go to the left side of the page, and click on The P File. If you've never visited here, you may enjoy some of the other writings from a couple of years ago. 

THE STORY OF MY LIFE....in six decades


the fifties were my first decade
when my first memories were made
our little home with walls of stone 
and now. like lots of things, it's gone
my daddy's horse, our big white cat  
and other little things like that

the sixties brought us overseas  
where i made brand new memories  
living by the sea in bliss  
learning to swim with jelly fish
skating til dark with my dog at my side
 mostly alone, but i didn't mind

the seventies brought me lots of things
oversized coats and wedding rings  
kisses on Gun Hill, a tiny wee house
a bouncing wee baby for me and my spouse
co-workers and friends i held close to my heart  
and they'd hold me together when i'd fall apart

the eighties brought treasures of friendships and love

and the me that i was, came back into my soul  
and the bad times were eased by the waves and the sun
and the cries of the gulls when the morning begun
two babies came crying and brought me more joys
and my life had a purpose, my three little boys

the nineties brought change in a mindblowing way

when we packed up our stuff and moved so far away  
new ocean, new city, new jobs and new friends  
a brand new experience round every bend  
no regrets, except family and friends left behind,  
our memories keeping them all in our minds
  
those decades add up, and no longer we feel  
middle aged, and that's scary - the grey hair is real  
and our little boys are all finally grown  
with true loves and dear little kids of their own   
we continue the journey, no matter what comes,  
for beginnings are not only made for the young

I have written a few posts over the years that make people laugh - but I didn't consider myself as even a wee bit of a writer until I wrote a story that made at least one of my friends cry .... I've never been happy with the words I used to end it, but this is still lingering in the back of my head, and some day .....

1 comment: