Friday, May 9, 2014

May 9 - LOOKS Like Summer, Feels like Winter - Breehy, Queen Mary Park and a burst of Tulips ...

I agree with Ralph Waldo Emerson - sometimes it's not the destination, it's the journey ....

I often passed this sign as we drove a scenic route to Walmart. Nikkie said there wasn't much there, just a bit of playground equipment ... but I thought I'd check it out anyway. This was a sunny but chillingly cold windy day, and Breehy was chomping at the bit for a ride, and this little park was only a few minutes away - so I thought it would be a good start for my summer wanderings.
 The time Nikkie went there, the playground looked like this.
Tot lot inside Queen Mary Park. 
 However, today it seems that an upgrade had been made. Just a little 'uns playground .... as a destination, nothing to write home about (or even blog about) but the journey? Well, that was another thing ....
 This was such a beautiful ride through a rich green canopy of leaves and old growth forest.
And I bet you're wondering what on earth is the background of my selfie?
(And yes, I actually got a haircut today. Like it?)

 It's an amazing tree that I came across in a grassy meadow.
Yup. Never saw a tree like that before in all my many years. Now I realize what I've been missing while sitting on my butt for the past year.
 
The trunk held some strange treasures. Not sure if they were fossils or bird poop. Not brave enough to investigate further.
The ground was covered here with this very invasive plant which, according to Steve, has a loooong Latin name.
And there were tons of bluebells just growing wild. I'm sure I remember them from Scotland, where I lived when I was a wee lassie. That's before I moved to Newfoundland and became a young maiden.
 It wasn't until I got close enough to take a picture of these beautiful poppies that I realized there could be snakes living here. I mean, probably not, but maybe.
 On the way back, we skedaddled down a bank to visit the stream flowing through. This is Healey Creek, which is a tributary of both Bear Creek and the Serpentine River, both important salmon spawning rivers. This park was established to protect the ecosystem of this area.
 
The area holds several old tree trunks, remains of giants from the past. They just go to show that youth isn't the only holder of beauty.



So - it didn't take us long to get back home, to recuperate. While I was loading pictures to the computer, I heard a loud roar. Yes, it was Nikkie, mowing the grass. Working. So I thought that deserved a picture.
And for a treat, I decided to drag her back to the park with me just in case I forgot some pictures the first time.




Somebody had actually used this hollow trunk for ... a picnic? Maybe. There was a plate inside. I don't think I'd want to go in though - seems to me this is a home for insects, bugs and small rodents. Maybe even big rodents.
 And ... to end on a brighter note - here's an inside look at some of Steve's tulips.

No comments:

Post a Comment