Thursday, October 5, 2023

October 5 - Sometimes driving can be so rewarding … but for some reason when I drive there, he always drives back. Go figure.

The funniest part of today was when I stepped on the gas a bit heavy and according to Howard, almost scared the crap (he didn’t say crap) out of him. Well, I knew what I was doing - just preparing to enter a Main Street from a side road, and I knew I had a window of opportunity coming up - and I just slipped in there like a pro. But it was kind of rewarding, after the many times he had me bracing my hands on the dashboard. 

At least I didn’t tell him to Shut Up.

*************

From long ago - 2011 I think. 

I think last Thursday happened just so I could write about it, although that may seem vain on my part. We started off by doing a bit of shopping, which was pretty much an everyday, boring experience, so I won't say much about that. On the way out of the incredibly full parking lot (doesn't anyone work anymore?) the truck in front, while signalling a right-hand turn, started to curve to the left, which made Howard stop. Meanwhile, a car trying to turn into our path, blew its horn - well, I guess the driver blew its horn, or his horn, whatever, (which, come to think of it, is one of my three prerequistites for drivers' ed, the ability to swear, blow the horn, and slam on the brake all at one time...but I digress...) so Howard started to move forward so this car could scoot out. Meanwhile I noticed the truck was backing up into a parking stall, so I said, as Howard started to move forward -

"Hey, watch it, he's backing up...."

That's me, trying to be helpful.

And my dear husband answered:

"Shut Up."

So I did.

Well, we had a silent ride home, as I sat and thought of all the times he had helpfully advised me while I was driving, and the many times I had felt like telling him to Shut Up, but didn't. So I thought to myself, if he wants me to Shut Up, I will Shut Up, and when he mentioned some insignificant thing, I just ignored him, so then he Shut Up, too. Until we got home, and he asked me what time our Doctor's appointment was.

So instead of staying Shut Up, I Spoke Up:

"Well, how long was that Shut Up supposed to last? Just until we got out of the parking lot? Or all day? All week?"

By then I was laughing,  but Howard?  Noy so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment