Saturday, December 7, 2013

I'm Sick of Winter - and it's not even here yet ....



Yes, we're living in a deep freeze. We're not used to this, not any more. One reason we traded the cold winds of Trinity Bay in Newfoundland for the mild climes of southeast British Columbia was to get away from all these minus temperatures.

So here I am, with a long commute in the morning. I know what I'll be wearing - besides the aforesaid 'essentials' there will be tights, long underwear, wool socks, jeans, t-shirt, sweater, hoodie, and a cuddly fleecy jacket. Top that off with a knitted hat (25% wool), fingerless gloves (my big-boned fingers can't fit into other types now, thanks to Art Ritis, one of the horrible male visitors to the aged), scarf, and furry-inside boots. So even if it is -4 in the morning at the 22nd Street bus stop, I won't have icicles hanging from my nose - I hope.

However, I know what I'll see when the bus pulls up to the designated loading area. The driver will open the door, and welcome all his mummified passengers to his heated sauna, wearing shorts and T-shirt. He'll probably be smiling.

In summer, I get to grumble when we get the rare heat wave. In fall I get to moan when the temperatures drop to the single digits. But now, in December? I can whine about being too cold and too hot within the same hour.

And now the forecast calls for snow on Tuesday?
 
 Need  I say more?
 


No comments:

Post a Comment