Wednesday, January 1, 2014

HAPPY NEW YEAR - resolution number 1: have fun .... getting one's feet (and various other parts) wet at Semiahmoo Bay!

On December 31, 2013, I realized I had not yet learned my lesson as far as opening my big mouth was concerned - because I started bugging Nikkie about going on a Polar Bear Swim the following day.

Of course the next day I was called on it - Howard basically told me he knew I wasn't going to do it. He is such a supportive husband. He's lucky I don't own a gun, because no jury on earth would ever convict me.

However, since we had no way to White Rock, I felt safe - until Steve offered to drive us there. I really love Steve. He is so kind.

For those of you who may never have heard of it, the Polar Bear Swims of the world always take place on New Year's Day. We are quite lucky here in God's country, as we would never have to break a hole in the ice to go swimming at this time of year. If we lived in northern Manitoba, I would never consider such an adventure, but on a gray 6 degree day .... it felt do-able.

So off we go, walking down the beach path to the big White Rock. Unfortunately we were running a few minutes late (15 actually) so we had missed the group run into Semiahmoo Bay, which is actually the Pacific Ocean in case you're wondering. That meant there weren't as many people around to see us if we chickened out.

We were certainly dressed for the weather and the activity. Shorts, flip flops, woolly hat and winter jacket may indeed become a new fashion style.
 The day was grey, the skies were beautiful, and the waters were calm. I saw on last year's sites that there was a fair wind and pretty big waves roaring to the shore, so I'm glad I didn't have this brain wave twelve months ago.
 I had to hold Nikkie's hand as I was afraid she would chicken out and leave me to do this all by myself.
H
 So far, so good .....
I don't think the video is working .... but if it does, you will see us walk up to our hips, then Nikkie struggles free and hightails it back to shore. I keep on going until I'm at a swimming depth, and plunge in bravely, using swimming muscles that haven't been used in aeons, and do a wimpy breaststroke/doggie paddle combination towards the shore.
And that's when I realized I had lost one of my bling-bling sandals. Yes, there it was, a single lonely flop floating on the water ... way out. I had just accepted the fact that I was surrendering my favourite footwear to Neptune, when a friendly kayaker paddled by and rescued it for me.
 I don't know I managed to not get my hat wet ... but everything else was pretty damp. And my feet were absolutely frozen. Other than that, I didn't find it cold at all ..... at least not until we were halfway up the hill to the car.

It was good to get my flip flop back though. You can't tell from this picture, but if I had bent one of my toes here it would have just snapped off like an icicle on the eave of an igloo. 
Well, not only was New Years Day a swimmingly fun kind of day, it also heralded a brand new year for pretty flowers on White Rock's sidewalks. We think they are a type of begonia - a sturdy type, just like me!
We drove home in tropical temperatures, thanks to Steve's adjustment to the car heater. Now here is a place where  Breehy-hinny-brinny-hoohy-hah and I could go adventuring .....

No comments:

Post a Comment