Sunday, February 23, 2014

Another Four Letter Word That Kept Falling All Day - a widdy bitty touch of winter

Well, this is highly ridiculous
In fact it’s making me sickulous
To wake up again
With snow and not rain
The weatherman is but a prickulous.


Okay. I know it's not the weatherman's fault, but I feel the need to blame someone. I don't seem to get much sympathy from friends and family 'back home' either - so I'll just wallow in self-pity and wait for this second snow-filled day to be over.

I must admit - it is beautiful. It would be even more beautiful if I didn't have to go out in it, though.
These extra large snowflakes fell on top of and around me as I walked under a tree. Thank you, tree.
 

This morning reminded me of one of my favourite Christmas carols. I remember singing 'Good King Wences last looked out, on the feast of Stephen' when I was a kiddie in church with my family. Now I'm grown up, I know it is really Good King Wenceslas who looked out ... and saw this poor old fellow gathering winter fuel. So he went out to him and said 'Mark my footsteps, my good page, tread thou in them boldly - thou shalt find the winter's rage freeze thy blood less coldly.'

Well. Seems the  Good King Wenceslas wasn't, after all, who I thought he was. He wasn't even who the carol-writer thought he was either, but I guess he had a good spin-doctor.


I'm not sure who made these footsteps for me, but I do thank whoever it was. My blood froze less coldly.
 I found out this morning there are two things wrong with my new winter boots. One is they aren't waterproof, even if they are pretty. The other is that snow builds up and sticks to the sole, so it's like I'm walking on platform soles, and I end up leaving a big mess on the floor of the bus. Oops.

But -when I got off the bus at Surrey Central Sky Train Station, I had to backtrack a little ways to these sturdy little cherry trees.
At least I know Spring is around the corner, even it's still snowing outside. 

And Spring isn't only hanging out in Surrey - it's also alive and well in Steveston.

No comments:

Post a Comment