Friday, December 21, 2012

DECEMBER 21 - The Spirit of Christmas (Concerts) Present and Past

Last night we went to the Christmas Concert at Cindrich Elementary, where Chris and Lizzie go to school. Two older students read (stumbled over) How The Grinch Stole Christmas, and each grade sang a seasonal song in between sections of the story. These are the Grade One classes - Chris is in there somewhere.
It was nice - the little ones were so cute all dressed up in their finest - and it reminded me of many Christmas Concerts in the past - not when  I was a student, but a teacher.

My first was at Holy Cross Elementary School in Eastport, Newfoundland. I was a brand new very young teacher - just a few months past my 18th birthday, and my students were in Grade 5. I'm not sure how or why I decided to have the girls a drill for the concert. Nowadays no one seems to know what a drill is - I know I would never attempt to choreograph another one.

There was a foot chart of some sort in a book, and the girls went on stage from opposite directions, marching to music and forming semi-complicated patterns. But they had it down pat for the big night. The curtain went up, they marched on stage - and quickly became tangled up. So here's me, on the sidelines, whisper/shouting Close the curtains! Then a re-organizing and a pep talk, and TA DA, a perfect performance.

The next concerts I remember took place when I was teaching on the 'school on the hill' in Trinity. This was a three-room school, with no stage for a concert, so we used to head down to the Parish Hall for final practices and The Big Night. And we used to have real Winter back then - we'd be all dressed up in Parkas and Snow Boots, Scarves, Mittens and Toques, slipping and sliding our way down that School hill in the very seasonal Frosty Air. Very festive it was, though, at the night of the concert. Everyone came all dressed up in their Christmas finery, wearing sparkling Christmas corsages (the women, anyway - and by the way, what happened to them? I guess they've gone extinct.) I have two stuck memories of these concerts - one was going up the side stairs to the stage, in full view of a full audience, and tripping upstairs. This was the early 70's and guess who wore the minniest of mini skirts?  And after the concert was over, Santa Claus would come Ho Ho Ho-ing in the door, all the children would get a gift, and the teachers would sit on his knee. These were wonderful days!

When we moved to the 'new school around the arm' there were many more children to participate in the yearly event, but every one got a chance to stand on stage. I only wish I had more pictures - as I was always one of the teachers buzzing about getting everyone organized for 'the next part', I was lucky to get the chance to see my own kiddies perform, let alone take pictures. The pictures below are circa 1984.
We had Recitations - Christmas themed poems recited by brave girls and boys ...
Lots of Christmas music. These little boys and girls sang about Baby Jesus as well as Santa Claus and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. It was good that He was allowed in our schools back then.
We had skits - very short plays...
And we had lovely voices ...
These were times for the kids to feel special ...
A time for the boys to 'seem' angelic - after all, Santa was on his way ...
Getting all dressed up - and turning shy ...
There is nothing so beautiful as childrens' voices as they sing Away In A Manger ...
Of course, each concert was the result of hours of practice, and hours of making props. We started in early November, and the biggest chore was deciding what our class would do for its contribution. Some kids wanted speaking parts, some did not, some were shy, and some wanted to take part in everything. We teachers searched through worn out Christmas concert books for ideas - the ones we had were so old and probably out of print even then.

And of course the props. There were  props to be procured ...
There were props to be made ...
Flowers to grow ...
And letters to draw and paint - oh my, over the years, how many letters?


One of the most memorable concerts was a musical directed by our music teacher, Miss Howse. She built a camel in the staff room for a prop - this became our 'pet' and was loved by all.
 After meeting Mr Thompson and Mr Pond, however, it left on a search for Wise Men.

I'd love to thank all the little stars that passed through my classroom doors, from 1972 through 1994 - the memories you have left me are priceless. I hope you all have the Merriest of Christmases, and the Happiest of New Years!

No comments:

Post a Comment