Thursday, December 13, 2012

DECEMBER 9, 10, 11 - Once Upon a Time there were Rainy Days at The Blue Canoe

Since I haven't kept up to date much in the past week or so, here's a mish-mash of Stuff to rob you of a few minutes of your life.

Sunday was the back-to-work day, and I was lucky to get a ride to work. You can see one of the reasons I felt lucky below - it was a rainy day, and my ride didn't make me wait at a bus exchange 10 minutes in the wet. 
When customers would come in the store on rainy days, rain dripping off their noses, they would say, 'What a horrible day.' And I, Ms Platitude, would always reply, 'No, it's a wonderful day - just horrible weather.' It's a wonder I never got slapped. Because there really have been some horrible days lately (weather-wise, that is.)

And that was Sunday, or at least all I can remember of it. It was really busy, and there were two  best parts - one was our favourite Sunday lunch of Spring Rolls from Sushi Ten, and the other was coming home and having my delicious Chicken Soup for supper.

On Monday the weather was dry, but chilly. I left home at 9:30, as my shift started at 11:45 - but after a commute of 'just missing' the next mode of transportation, I  actually made it there about 11:44: 59. Two hours and fifteen minutes sitting and standing and waiting and moving makes a Monday seem even more Monday-like.

I strolled around a little bit during my lunch break, and found a few more sets for Once Upon A Time - they were getting ready for some shooting action on Tuesday.

I wonder who will be here? Alice? Or probably Cora, the wicked Queen of Hearts. Part of the reason she is wicked is the ability to actually steal hearts, and not the wicked stealing-your-husband's-heart-while-you're-home-changing-poopy-diapers type of stealing, but the wicked-shove-her-hand-into-your-chest-and-rip-out-the-beating-organ type.
But regardless of that - want to go on Tuesday? They have 2 for 1!


Howard was happy eating my wonderfully delicious Chicken Soup Sunday evening - I'm not sure if he tasted it at all, as he was watching One Last Schooner on CBC's Land and Sea at the same time. This is the story of his dad, Henry Vokey and the 44' foot schooner Leah Caroline he built, which was launched in July. If you want to see a truly happy man - click on the link above.
And that was Monday. The worst part of this day was the commute, and the best was watching Howard watching his dad on TV.

Tuesday was another pouring-down day. Steveston was a-buzz with film crew and princes and other miscellaneous but less handsome actors, but it was so wet I only ventured out for some soup from the next-door cafe. I have never had any bad edibles from Steveson Cafe before, their lattes, mochas and hot chocolates are fabulous, and I love their veggie sandwiches and bagels - however, the Spanish Tomato soup was awful and ended up in the garbage. To me it tasted like hot pepper water. Yech. I am really glad I shoved a couple of my fabulous Blueberry Muffins in my purse this morning -
However, I would have been gladder if I hadn't squashed the shit out of them on the way to work. Maybe I shouldn't have also packed a hard cover copy of my latest Stephen King reread - The Dark Half.

It may have been a good thing that my lunch was small, as we had our staff Christmas dinner after work. We went to  The Blue Canoe, a restaurant on the pier, also in Steveston, and we had ourselves 'a time.' Our server (sorry, don't know his name - should have asked him) was great - even though he'd be half-way across the room, when he heard me say to Pauline, But I don't like green beans.... he came over and offered a different veggie. I figured the pepper pot was bugged. When our entrees were brought out, everything looked so good I forgot to take pictures - it was like eating at the Food Network. And the taste was out-of-this-world. When he picked up our plates - just a step away from being licked clean - I said to him, 'Hope you pay your chef well! The food was amazing!' and he said, 'Yes, very well.'

I did take a picture of my Creme Brulee though - except for the kumquat, I scarfed it down, every last spoonful. Oh, man.
While we were having our desserts, we were honoured by a visit from the executive chef, Danilo Ibarra -

Danilo Ibarra discovered his passion for cooking at a young age, profoundly spurred on by his roots as a native of Managua, Nicaragua. A lineage of Latin influences was as much a product of Danilo’s career inspiration as it was his upbringing in a predominately Spanish-speaking household. He went on to pursue his vocation after high school in the Culinary Arts program at Vancouver Community College, one of the most highly respected culinary training programs in the country.
His training has landed him in such acclaimed French restaurants as Café de Paris, La Regálade French Bistro, and Hermitage where he also apprenticed and achieved his Red Seal certification.
A promotion to Sous Chef at Hermitage later opened the door to Sous Chef under the direction of Karen Barnaby at The Fish House in Stanley Park, and afterwards to Executive Sous Chef at Horizons on Burnaby Mountain, alongside Executive Chef John Garrett.
Danilo’s future is continually shaped by working with influential chefs of the culinary industry who in turn have helped propel his depth of knowledge, while forging the development of his own distinctive style and culinary philosophy: no matter what you are cooking – always take great pride of your dish; make it personal and with love.


After 12 years of extensive experience and knowledge of Latin, West Coast, and French cuisine, while working his way through some of the finest kitchens in Vancouver, Danilo continues to set epicurean standards as an Executive Sous Chef at Glowbal Grill and Executive Chef of his own company Sabroso- Personal Chef and Catering Services. (bio 'borrowed' from Cooks 'n Corks website.

What a talented man. Marina tried as hard as she could, but she couldn't interest him in knitting lessons at Steveston Crafts. I think he's happy with his craft of choice, which is casting on amazing ingredients and casting off amazing food. Thanks to Chef Danilo and the staff of The Blue Canoe for an ... yes, you got it .... amazing evening.
I even had a drink - some kind of Sunset cocktail - it was so good you couldn't even taste the alcohol in it. Even at the end of the evening I had a little bit left - sipping it slowly throughout the meal kept my knees from getting swirly. The reason mine is the only glass on the table is that the others just glutched theirs down ...
Marina, me, Pauline, Penny and Chris
And that ties up my Three Days of Work. I'm glad we had a little Play time - keeps us from being dull!


1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry your muffins deflated but I'm very happy your spirit hasn't.

    ReplyDelete