Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A Week in Review - the ReWind Version

 August 19 - Work. Which means a 2-hour loss of time between 9:15, when I left the house, to 11:15, when I got off the bus at Steveston. It's much easier to doze on the bus when you get up at 5 in the morning and leave at 6:30 - but I would rather have that extra 2 hours snooze in my own bed - especially when His Royal Highness is at work and I only have a big kitty who purrs and snores only slighty to snuggle against my back.

Because I miss the rush hour schedule, the bus doesn't travel Westminster Highway, where my eagle (or eagles) nest, but I don't see them in the evening when we do that route either. Last summer they disappeared for a while - the bus driver back then thought they had gone to wetter pastures - salmon fishing. I kinda believe that is true, even if that was the same bus driver who told me only the males have white heads. 

Anyway, I visited one of Steveston's thrift stores on my break, looking for a paperback copy of Stephen King's IT, as the hardcover one I'm reading has to weigh about 20 pounds and therefore doesn't make a good bus book. I took a glance at their travel section ... and once again had to shake my head in wonder.
Anyway, my bus ride home was full of stander-uppers who were probably as annoyed as I was - the young guy with the sunglasses (I wonder was he in disguise?) decided he needed three seats, one for himself and the two wheelchair-fold-up ones for his giant load of groceries. And when the older guy left the bus, the jerk just pulled his cart closer and moved over so no one else could sit in the other seat. This is one of my pet peeves ..... If you have to move half a grocery store, you don't do it during rush hour.
August 18 - Steveston was booming on Sunday, it being hot and sunny and a Market Day. As I was walking from the bus stop, I saw two huge yellow school buses unloading about a thousand seniors, so I knew we were in for a busy day.

These kind of days end up being a lot of helping find the perfect pattern and the perfect yarn, only to end in no sales at all. Oh well. We did see several bags of yarn toddle out the door though. 

I helped one really nice lady who wanted yarn to knit her son a sweater - he was a big boy and needed a lot of yarn - however, since he was a guitar player, he wanted the sleeves shorter. Before she left, I said, 'So, your son plays guitar?' (because I have one of those sons too) and she said, he joined the band after his dad left. Of course, I asked what band was that? And guess what .... it's The Irish Rovers. Her husband was Joe Millar, and her son Ian is the guitarist who's getting the new sweater from Steveston Crafts' wool. How cool is that ... or groovy .... or sick .... whatever.

So, come on, now. let's all sing along ....6 minutes of  their 25th Anniversary special  is here just for you! And I'll be bold enough to dedicate it to all those I partied with over the years, cos you all know -- weren't those the parties!

And it probably was the gin - at least the Lemon Gin.

Anyway, I did break away long enough to wander through the market foraging for food. Their were a few food trucks parked and cooking, but I thought I'd stop at Blue Smoke BBQ and try their Clucker - a pulled chicken sandwich, which featured the same Thunder Sauce as all the menu items.
 Well, I was a bit nervous about the heat involved in something called Thunder Sauce, but I need not have worried. The most memorable thing about the bun was something, I guess the Thunder Sauce, was so watery, it made the bottom of the bun seem it was dunked in soup before I finished eating it. It was just okay ... nothing special, definitely not extraordinarily tasty and packing no heat.  And for street food - it was a very messy eat. Take a bite from one side - and all the innards pop out the other. I was really glad I was sitting in front of a counter with about 100 napkins while I ate my lunch, I'll tell ya.
 After work, I came home and found this almost hiding in a forest of weeds in the back yard. Our garden didn't evolve as planned this year, as our built-in landscaper spent all spring and summer nursing a f***ed up finger instead of a nursery. But these nasturtiums flew in from somewhere ....
 Steve's poor little finger isn't doing very well. The injury has caused him to lose most of the grip strength in his right hand, and his pinkie just spends most of its time being in the way. I didn't know the pinkie is the source of your grip - if you don't believe me, then just try a tug-of-war without using yours. Bet you won't win.

August 13 - This was a work day, too, but this time when I got off the sky train, there was a carful of people waiting for me. Howard had decided to take us all out to dinner. I chose Swiss Chalet, so we ended up going to McDonalds. Which was just as well, because when we drove down King George Boulevard yesterday, I noticed Swiss Chalet was all closed up, boarded up, unsigned and I guess closed for good.

McDonalds is on a Smurf kick, and after Steve took pictures of Lizzie and Chris, he told Poppy it was his turn. But since the cut-out cardboard was so low on the floor, Poppy decided to be smart and held it up in front of his face. Steve took his pic, then said to the lady behind Howard, 'It's your turn!'

She said, 'No, I'm too shy.' And I replied, 'No, you just haven't had enough beer yet.'
 

August 12 - Another of these Mondays. I stopped at the Richmond Centre on my way to work to pick up a magazine for my bestie ... and decided to have a coffee and muffin before heading on to work. However they had a new donut - Apple Cobbler. The coffee was fine ... I wouldn't have another Apple Cobbler donut though.
August 11 - ...and just when you thought you'd seen it all .... this is who was riding the sky train on the way home after work. I was a bit nervous about sitting back on, but he turned out to be harmless enough. Seems there was a big event downtown Vancouver and you could dress up as a gaming character or something and have lots of fun.
This was also Lizzie's 6th birthday, so she was a princess for the day. Her parents took her to Walmart, and she wore her princess tiara - and all the other little girls were all smiling and waving to her. However ....
... this just goes to show - you can dress 'em up ... but you  can't take 'em anyywhere.

So there you have it, my boring week+ in review. I'm just waiting for something exciting to happen .....

No comments:

Post a Comment