Friday, August 23, 2013

Looking for Nuts, Finding Flowers, and I Should Have Gone To Subway ...

Believe it or not, I peeled my butt from the chair that sits in front of the computer and went for a walk. I decided  I had better get moving again before I forget how, and since poor old Breehy-hinny-brinny-hoohy-hah is still languishing with a flat tire, shank's mare was the way to go. And bus. 

On the way to the bus stop, I passed this property. I would love to have this tree in my back yard, but I just don't know how I would move it.
I did leave with a plan, though. Bus to Newton Exchange at 72nd, then walk to 64th, in search of the elusive  Hazelnut Trees from last summer. I (thought) I knew where they were. Anyway, I had a chance to check out some shops on the way - such as this Thrift Store ..
... where I found this - a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle about my favourite soap. At least I'm hoping it's a 1000 piece puzzle - and not a mere 998 piece one.
So, after loading up a bag with the puzzle, a couple of books, and a purse to replace the one my damn cat peed on, I walked around the corner and found this ...
.... which was chock full of these ...
I have never seen as much fabric in my life. Seriously. This was just one of many aisles, and each side was end to end bolts and rolls of as many kinds of fabric as you could possibly dream of, if that is your want. Or wont. Whatever. Wow.

The next place I noticed was proof of how good advertising works. Because I didn't think chicken at first - I thought maxi pads.
 Also in this area is the Fraser Region Aboriginal Friendship Centre
They have family drop-ins on Wednesday evenings, crafts and stuff and food - so I think I've found a place for Chris, Lizzie, Nikkie and me to go on Wednesday evenings!
 So then I headed down King George Boulevard to search for the elusive Hazelnut. No luck on the way down. Even the blackberry bushes that were so heavy with berries last summer were disappointing, so the containers I brought with me just in case remained empty. On the way back, though, I mistakenly found what I thought were hazelnuts ....
 ... but as we all know (especially my big brother David) these are acorns. They are what the mighty oak grows from. So I guess I still haven't found a Hazelnut tree. Oh nuts.

My stomach was telling me it was lunch time, so I unwisely passed a Subway and found Ronnie's Restaurant. I'd seen their sign before - cabbage roll, perogies .... and borscht. I have never had borscht, but I do like beet, so I thought I'd give it a try.
 
I ordered a coffee at first, and was quite disappointed (and a tad worried) when the gal brought me a mug of coffee that the cream couldn't lighten. I know from reheating my own hours old coffee why that happened - this stuff was also hours old. When I craned my neck to see the coffee maker on the counter and saw just a quarter of an inch of coffee left in the carafe, I had found my proof. Strike 1.

And then came the borscht. I really didn't think I would get a bowl of clumsily grated beet swimming in beet juice. I believe they poured a can of beet into a pot, flicked it with an immersion blender, and poured it into a bowl. A quick search on my I phone Yahoo! proved me correct - every Borscht recipe I found included stuff like seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic) and veggies (potatoes, carrots) and lots of other yummy things. I managed to choke down a few spoons of this watery concoction, but it just didn't deserve the politeness it would have taken to eat it all. Yuck. Strike 2.
The apple pie was made on site - so I was told - but the filling came from a can. You can tell just by seeing how flat it was, and if you tasted it, by how soggy the bottom crust was. Strike 3.
So, of all the places I've come across and eaten at since we moved to Surrey, this is the first one I would never even consider revisiting. I should have known when I walked in at noon and become their only customer.

There were a couple of shops on the opposite side of the street I wanted to check out, so I walked up to the next light and crossed over - only to find the sidewalk closed. I had two choices, to uncross the street, walk up to the next light and walk back, or to walk up the cross street and see if I could find a back way to the stores - one was Price Pro and the other Value Village.

I did find a street paralleling King George, and found magic. The back area of these two stores, instead of being littered with pallets and dumpsters, was a wonderful garden - with pumpkins ...
... apple trees ....
.... flowers of all colours and sizes ...
... more apple trees ...
... and just so you can get an idea of how much space this took up ... a very sketchy video ...
On my way again, an empty lot provided me with this art installation ... which I thought was very striking. Even though many would believe it's just a dead tree. I thought it was beautiful. But then, remember, I'm a bit nutty. (Who knows, maybe this was a hazelnut tree. Wouldn't that be ironic?)
And by the railroad track - hmm. That reminded me of an art installation in Nanaimo ... I wonder if that artist had walked along King George Boulevard at one time? Because this may have planted the seed ...
Don't you think?
By this time I was ready to head for home - and a bus driver seemed happy enough to take me close to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment