Friday, August 9, 2013

August 5 - Canada Place, Fly Over Canada, and How Do You Gift Wrap An Elephant?

Well, here we are (at least here Howard is) waiting at the bus stop for the first leg of our trip to the Vancouver waterfront, where all kinds of fun stuff and adventures await. It's a holiday Monday, so I'm not working, and He is enjoying his first week of holidays. Lucky him. I actually have to work one day out of ten in this period of time. Sucks.

Take note of his T-shirt. You can play Where's Waldo ... oops, I mean, Where's Howard ... as you read along! How much fun can this blog be? Tons, I say. Tons.
The first blackberries of the season are looking soooo good. I'm going to wait for a little while before I go out with my bucket though. I'd rather get scratched to pieces grabbing a handful rather than just one here and one there.

I just took this pic so Steve could identify it. Thought it was quite unusual. It was actually escaping from the front yard of the house behind the fence, so I guess it's a good spreader.
The sky train always offers strange stories - this guy hauled off his Tshirt, wiped his armpits, neck and face (in that order,) and stuffed the shirt in his backpack. (Note to self: Never buy a backpack from the thrift store.) And even though mis-matched socks are very popular in this big city, I didn't know mis-matched sneakers were coming into style. Since I only have one pair, I won't be able to follow this trend.
When we reached our destination - Canada Place - and Howard saw the cruise ships were in, he forgot all about me. Not so much as a Farewell.
This ship looks a bit different ....
Of course! It's the Disney cruise ship! I'd be wary about travelling on this one as the crew members don't seem .... well .... human.
Although they appear to eat all sorts of human food ....
Can you find him? Can you?
Another big boat ... Keep walking away, why don't you? I wonder how long it would take him to notice if I fell of the dock.
Now, here is the main reason why I brought him here on this fine day. It turned out to be one the most amazing, awesome things I've ever done, and I would do it every day if I were rich and lived nearby.
While we were waiting in line for our priority seating (which wasn't really prioritized - we were actually the last ones seated, as far as I know. Unless they sat the regular ticketed people somewhere else), I checked out the scenes on the wall in front of us. These are the scenes that are highlighted during the experience.

Icebergs off Twillingate (in Newfoundland, for those of you who don't know)... .
Autumn in Quebec ...
Niagara Falls in Ontario
The Northern Lights in Manitoba
Orchards in British Columbia
Guess I missed the wheat fields in Saskatchewan ... sorry about that.

When we finally got inside, we were herded into a room with surround video of scenes from across the country - very cool. If you go, try to stand in front of the white line, though. We were in the middle and there were a lot of people taller than I was, so I couldn't really see everything.

Then we were led into the main event, where we were seatbelted into big comfy chairs in front of virtually nothing. There was no one in front and no one behind -

All of a sudden the room went entirely dark, and then, as if by magic, you were surrounded by clouds - this was a 4-D experience, so as well as seeing the grey, we felt the mist and the breeze ... and then we were swooping down and flying between the peaks of a huge iceberg in the North Atlantic. And it was chilly there, let me tell ya!

And from there we flew, soared, dipped and rose across the country. There were several times when it felt like our feet were going to dip into a river ... besides the scenes shown above, we swooped over kayakers and white-water rafters, cowboys herding horse, the Rocky Mountains (so magnificent, words cannot describe - at least I don't have any that can do that justice.) When we zoomed in over Canada Place, Howard said, "Oh, we're home again!" but we just kept on going north to a huge black sky filled with stars and Northern Lights. Now that was pretty darn chilly. Shivers.

So if you get a chance to Fly Over Canada, don't miss out on this. Go. Please. It's only $20, but actually the experience is Priceless.
After the show, we walked around the Conference Centre - here is a choppy video of the panoramic view, ending with the Disney Cruise Ship.
All that flying made us hungry, so we headed to the Waterfront Centre for our usual burger and fries .... and found a Fatburger joint where Ricky's used to be, so I dragged Howard in for his first ever fatburger.
For once he didn't complain about the tiny bit of meat in the bun, so I think he was pleased. I could only eat about a third of mine, though. These suckers are BIG.
More sky train, more bus. We were almost home, when I saw this wrapped up in someone's yard. I bet someone is going to get a surprise when they unwrap this big present!



No comments:

Post a Comment