Saturday, September 14, 2013

A Bit of This, A Bit of That - Growing Up, Messing Up, and Re-Discovering the Joys of Alcohol (not really!)

Since I turned yet another year older, I've been getting slower ... and slower ... and slower. I was doing pretty good up to September 7, and it's all been downhill since then. Oh well, maybe the doctor can fix me up - I visited him yesterday, and explained how I was waiting for the strong, vibrant, go-go-go part of post-menopausal womanhood to hit me - I think he thought that was funny. Men. Huh.

So he sent me to the lab with a requisition to take 3, yes 3, bottles of blood, half a pint (it seems) of pee, and an ECG. Nothing was easy - needle pricks, a night-full bladder (because if I peed before I went, I knew I wouldn't be able to produce even a tinkle) - and to top it all off, I was as hungry as a bear (as I couldn't eat anything before the blood work.) The ECG wasn't so bad except for the naked-from-the-waist-up part. 

And now I realize the worst part of the whole thing is the fact that I  can see my results before the doctor can tell me, ah, that's nothing to worry about. Crap.

However .... let's look a bit farther back, shall we?

September 8 - I woke up being 61 years old, and what a number that is. I still  can't imagine it. I'm older than my mother was when she was 60. And still the clock ticks on .... 

Pauline brought me a big bunch of sunflowers from the staff at the store. I love sunflowers, and bringing them home on the bus was a treat. And yes, that meant I had to work on my birthday. 
When I got home, though, there was a nice surprise - Steve and  Nikkie made a really nice dinner. Thai marinated chicken shish kabobs, and fancy rice. So yummy. And so didn't have to clean up after!
A really delicious orange birthday cake as well, made from scratch by Nikkie, the best cake-maker in the house. I cannot make a scratch cake, they always turn out heavy (dunchy), but this one was so perfect. Thanks, Steve and Nikkie.
Now, for some advice if you own mugs like these. Look closely, and you will see that one is in fact upside down - they have clear glass bottoms. However, these clear glass bottoms are hard to see when one still has sleep in one's eyes. A quick way to wake up though, is to pour orange juice onto the wrong end and give your feet a cold sticky shower.
After my doc's visit yesterday afternoon, I met Howard, Nikkie and the kids at Knight & Day restaurant so I could have another Strawberry Chi Chi. I don't really enjoy boozing, but these make vodka quite drinkable. It may not be the perfect side for a BLT, but who cares? I don't.
And here it is, Saturday. I'm sitting in a messy room, with tons of stuff I should be doing since I start another 3 days of work tomorrow, but that's okay. I'm sure it will all wait until I'm ready to attack it!

No comments:

Post a Comment