Saturday, September 7, 2013

September 7 - Rain? You Call That Rain?, A Squirrel Memory, and Thank God Not All Webs Are World Wide

We had a little shower a couple of evenings ago - I thought we would all float away, to tell the truth. It was the biggest rainfall we had seen since moving over to the wet coast - in fact, it was probably the heaviest rain EVER.

We were also blessed with thunder and lightning - thunder so loud I thought I'd find Nikkie cowering under the bed. It's a good job I'm not afraid of thunder, as Howard wouldn't put the frame for our bed together, so our box spring and mattress is on the floor. Of which I was glad, actually, as last night he really did push me off the bed, so I didn't have far to fall. (Well, to tell the truth, my side of the bed is only about a foot away from the wall, so I actually got jammed between the wall and the mattress. It's just as well to be honest about it. Or you won't believe anything I say in this blog is true.)

At least I didn't have clothes on the clothesline - but that's probably only because His Royal Highness won't fix the linr that needs fixing. As you can see, the lady that lives kitty-kat corner from us has a line-full that got a spectacularly good rinsing. She took the clothes in this morning - 2 days after said storm.
Howard and Steve went out to make sure there was a drainage 'ditch' so water didn't get in the basement. Howard borrowed my umbrella. Steve didn't. He came in, and asked Nikkie to get him a towel, but she was gone so long he assumed she was gone to get her camera. She wasn't, but I took his picture instead, and of course, he came after me and gave me the biggest hug he could, before she showed up with the towel. Poor wet me.
I don't know if you remember last year's blog titled Howard Versus The Squirrel but I did when I saw this book in the thrift store. He wasn't very impressed with the gift, but everyone else thought it was pretty funny. Especially me.
And so to tonight. I dropped my cherry tomatoes. In fact, I flung my cherry tomatoes. Just because the cat had to be taken in, as it was getting dark, and the cat is blind, and seems to attract raccoons.

I had just picked a handful of delicious, ripe tomatoes when I saw the cat. Teaser was just standing, facing the wall, probably wondering where the door was. So, with tomatoes on one hand, and cat's belly on the other, we headed through the basement door, where cat is deposited by the food bowl. He is now happy. And I go back out through the basement door, where I see a bag of used kitty litter lumps I had thrown out there last night and forgotten about, so I picked that up in my free hand and headed to the garbage bin - taking the scenic route around the house, where the grass was cool and lovely on my bare feet. In fact I was so enraptured by the grass, I forgot about the humongous spider web with its humongous resident spider until my face went right into it. So here goes my panic dance, tomatoes flying around like the spots from a disco ball, and me whipping the dishrag from my shoulder and flipping and flopping it all over my body, frothing up my hair in particular, all the time running for the house and hoping my husband, already full of beer, would take pity and check me out for eight-legged creatures. He said there were none, but it was easier for him to say that, than actually check. So I went and shook everything over Nikkie, who promptly went ballistic on the couch.

Now I'm downstairs, with itchy and crawly feelings that won't go away.

You can stop laughing now.


2 comments:

  1. how is it Howard never says or does anything and I still feel sorry for him ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Rod, I guess you can say Howard is my muse .... and helps with your 'a-muse-ment' while reading my words!

    ReplyDelete