Friday, November 8, 2013

Autumn's Here and Winter's Coming - Poutine and Pie ... and Watch Your Eye ... whatever ... there is a poem here somewhere ...

Yes, the frost was on the pumpkins .... and on the grass. It's time to dig out the gloves and the hats and the long johns, which unfortunately will look strange with my favourite flip flops  ... 
Sunday morning, and I was lucky enough to get a ride to work. I'm not sharing the blurry picture below to showcase my photographic talent - but to show off the snow in the mountains. As long as it stays in the mountains, I don't mind. 

So you can stop squinting and shaking your head now. The picture is very blurry because it was taken with my IPhone while travelling 80kpm over the Alex Fraser Bridge. And no, I wasn't driving at the time. Believe me, it was the best pic out of three.
Sunday turned out to be a beautiful but cold day - after all, it is November. On my break I walked through the Steveston Winter (yes, Winter) Market - and look what I found! I think because the sun was blaring on the whiteness of the food truck, the words  
BIG RED'S POUTINE 
 turned out pretty wishy washy. Guess what I had for lunch?
 A few steps away was my old friend at Sweet Thea - I've bought these pastries at the Surrey Summer Market and they are G-O-O-D. Guess what I bought for dessert?
Well, the Bacon Poutine turned out to be way too much for me. A few big bacon pieces, a few curds, a few French Fries, all covered with gravy, and I was done. But these bites were soooooo yummy - and left me glad I had this heart attack in a cardboard bowl at least once in a lifetime.
 In fact, my stomach rebelled at the thought of one of Sweet Thea's Lemon Tarts - I only bought one of these 4" delights, and ended up taking it home and letting Steve enjoy it. I'll have mine next time.
 It's not hard to find Autumn this year - the sidewalks on Moncton Street are covered with leaves, lovely to kick through while you're pretending to be a kid.
There's also lots of Autumn in Surrey, as yesterday's walk to Walmart proved. Even though it was a rainy, damp, cloudy day, this tree caught some brightness from somewhere.

 MY ODE TO AUTUMN

while walking slowly to the mall
listening to the wild geese call
a branch gave up a yellow leaf
that wafted slowly down to me

and then it hit me .... it was fall
 






No comments:

Post a Comment