Saturday, November 2, 2013

David and Darleen Do Vancouver - a wee family reunion at Canada Place

Unlike this pouring-down-rainy day in November, downtown Vancouver in the latter part of September was a beautiful sunny blue-skied day ... and made even sunnier by a meeting with two very special people!
My big brother David and sister-in-law Darleen were on the West Coast for a couple of weeks, and we met downtown for an afternoon visit. Howard and I skytrained (my favourite of all things ..NOT) there, and David drove in from Point Grey - sometimes I wish Howard and I were braver regarding driving. There is no way on God's earth he would even consider driving to Vancouver, especially the downtown part. The thought of it would probably drive him to drink ... wait a minute ... oh, forget it ... 

However, I can't say much. I haven't been behind a steering wheel in almost 4 years, although I did go and renew my driver's licence last spring, just in case. 
We had lunch at the Steamworks Brew Pub in Gastown, where one would never go and order a Miller Lite. They serve their own craft beers - but I ordered ginger ale, of course, not being a beer person. Not for a long long time, anyway. One does learn one's lessons, fortunately, when one has a very low tolerance of alcohol coupled with  memories of the nights before.

I'm not sure what Howard is sizing up here, but I hope David had his hand tightly wrapped around his Guiness. I think he had Guiness.

Or maybe he's eyeing my pulled pork sandwich ... but he probably wouldn't chance getting a fork stabbed into his hand, like a certain child of mine who tried to steal the last piece of pie from another certain child of mine.

 Even though Darleen didn't want her picture taken, she had no choice. She is a truly beautiful person, inside and out.
After lunch, we went to Fly Over Canada - again. (Go to this link and click on the red circle on the top left side under the spider, for a preview.) This was still an amazing trip, and if it comes to a town near you - please do yourself the kindness of seeing it.

Then it was time to say goodbye, au revoir, adios, sayonara, adieu ... til we meet again.
It's not always easy living so far away from one's family, and ours is spread out across Canada ... and now even reaching into Mexico. I treasure every minute of every visit ....

.. and of couse Howard always enjoys a sunny day off work, and a visit to Canada Place to check out the cruise ships!











No comments:

Post a Comment