Saturday, January 4, 2014

And the Fun Continues ....

So far this year I've done well with my resolution to HAVE FUN. On Day 1, we went to White Rock to the Polar Bear Swim - and I got right in there and got everything wet except my hat. Don't know how I managed that. I never got my bathing suit wet either, because I wasn't wearing one. After the swim, we snacked on the best fish and chips ever in the comfort of a warm ... hot ... car on the way home.

Day two started with me packing everything but the kitchen sink for a Prince George trip with Neil. It was a good way to help reduce the amount of Christmas chocolate, candy, cookies, and ham that was constantly calling my name. Well, not the ham so much. 

I spent quite a few minutes searching for my camera, calling both Steve and Howard to see if they had tucked it away somewhere, plus looking for double AAs (or do we call them double As?) for said camera. Finally found it - in the bottom of a grocery bag full of wet towels and wet clothes. Amazingly, it still worked.

Neil picked me up at noon, and we bob-tailed it to Langley to pick up a container, then got as far as Abbotsford, to the Ryder garage to get runner lights fixed. We had to wait for a train to pass before we could continue .... those trains are sooooo long. The actual wait was just a little bit more exciting than looking at the picture below.
The rain was pouring from the heavens, and the mechanic had trouble finding the trouble. If he had listened to the Driver, it would only have taken him a few minutes to replace a fuse. But since he was the Mechanic who spent years in school and apprenticeship, he had to try everything else first, plus get a co-worker out in the pouring rain as well, before one of them finally decided to .... replace a fuse. So then it was us on our way, finally.

This was about the time Nikkie texted me, U forgot the camera.  I replied, After all that fuss. Oh well, at least I remembered the batteries.

But that's not the reason I didn't take a lot of pictures. We were only on the road for a few hours in daylight, and these were filled with pouring rain, and then it got really really dark. As in pitch black. Not a good time for picture taking, but great for chatting. I mentioned to Neil that a guy from Richmond had an ad on Craigslis looking for a home for a pot-belly pig, thinking he might have been interested in a new pet. He was interested, all right.

'Can you eat pot-belly pigs?'

Change of subject.

We ran into a couple of snow storms on the way, but most of the road was good. We made it to Prince George, did the two drops offs, and were in our bunks shortly after 2 in the morning. Yawn.

At ten the next morning - Day 3 -we headed over to the Husky restaurant for breakfast. Well, Neil headed there directly - I was so busy watching where I put my boots on this icy slippery parking lot that I went straight instead of turning a 90 degree angle and ended up at a different building. Neil was just coming back to see where I had gotten to when I showed up.
As you can see, it was a beautiful, blue skied sunny morning, and we got on the road about noon, heading for home.
 And here are some photos - winter roads -
 - winter trees -
 - winter skies -
 - glistening winter trees -
 - and a beautiful winter sunset.
And now - it's Day 4, and it's almost over. I did laundry, walked to Surrey Central with Nikkie (finally got over 10000 steps on my Fitbit Flex) and baked a Cottage Pudding, which we devoured with stewed Plums and Cool Whip. Tomorrow is work - but we don't even want to think about that right now.






No comments:

Post a Comment