Saturday, January 18, 2014

Another Trip - Full Moon, Fog, Solomon Grundy and Misleading Highway Signs ...

January is half over, and so far I've kept my New Year's Resolution to have Fun. Now I haven't had Fun every day - in fact, some days were the absolute opposite of Fun - but .... That's Life ... right?

I'm still proud and bragging regarding my dip in the ocean on New Year's Day - even though everybody else in the world chopped a hole through 13 feet of ice in order to swim with the real polar bears, in blizzard conditions with temperatures of below 100 degrees Celsius. That's okay. Next year come where 'I'm at' and do a Pamela Anderson slo-mo prance into the mild waters of the Pacific Ocean with me. 
 
I am now recuperating from a second trip to Prince George with Neil, where we left Thursday afternoon and got back home about 2:30 am this (Saturday) morning. 

We left Chilliwack with a Full Moon watching over us - and that brought up the children's nursery rhyme/prayer/song  I See The Moon . Even though Neil didn't remember it, after hearing it on You Tube it became an un-welcomed tune that stuck in his head. His remedy was to play music by Crash Test Dummies - not one of my top ten favourites, but much better than rap or CBC radio's offering of chamber music. I won't even pretend to like that stuff. 

So here comes Crash Test Dummies, singing about Superman, and a strange statement about saving the world from ... who? Solomon Grundy? At least that's what my ears heard. I never knew Solomon Grundy personally, but I've read his biography many times to my students, and I was stumped wondering how on earth he found the time to get involved in the kind of actions that would cause anyone, let alone Superman, to save the world from him.
Solomon Grundy,
Born on a Monday,
Christened on Tuesday,
Married on Wednesday,
Took ill on Thursday,
Grew worse on Friday,
Died on Saturday,
Buried on Sunday.
That was the end,
Of Solomon Grundy
See? 

However, a few minutes ago, while searching for this little poetic gem, I learned something new from Wikipedia -

Solomon Grundy is a reanimated corpse stemming from a cursed place near Gotham City called Slaughter Swamp. He has had many appearances in which he had different levels of strength and intelligence, once surpassing even Superman in power level.

Which proves that even people who think they know absolutely everything ... don't.  And this text shows that I know absolutely nothing about formatting either. I am humbled.

However, I am happy to say we ended up with Willie Nelson, George Jones, and Alan Jackson, to name a few of our companions on the way up the Fraser Canyon . This is where we ran into Fog. With a capital F. I can think of other F words that could be used to describe the heavy cloud cover that we drove through, but my grandchildren may read this blog someday, so I won't. But for you folk 'back home', who think you know fog ... you don't know fog. Neil drove the whole Canyon by way of his GPS. Because visibility was one tiny degree above zero. 
 
Unfortunately stress doesn't help weight loss.
 
I do have a problem with the BC highways, though. On the way home, we felt strong winds trying to push the truck off the road, and sure enough - there were signs warning us of Strong Crosswinds. The winds were so strong they were blowing the signs like windmills around their posts. And that's fine. But of all the trips I've been on, we've passed so many signs warning us of Elk - next 8km, or Moose - next 10km, or prancing Deer, or Mountain Sheep -  and even Badgers ... but have I ever seen any? (Well, yes, I have seen Deer.) But nothing else. As far as I'm concerned it's false advertising, and I'm thinking about suing the Highway Department for such. 
 
However, it was a good trip, despite such treacherous conditions and lack of wildlife. Maybe all these animals were just standing on the side of the road as we zipped along the canyon blindly - we would never have seen them in the fog anyway.
 
Well, back to work tomorrow, for another 3 days. Bah humbug.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment