Thursday, October 11, 2012

OCTOBER 11 - Hazelnut Hunt, Heavenly Park, and Hanging Hangout for Birds Only, Please - Too Bad Squirrels Can`t Read

We woke up to RDF (rain, drizzle and fog, for you CFAs [Come From Aways]), so I wasn't sure if I should take Breehy and go or not - but I did anyway. Had to go in the morning, as when I got home I wanted to have time to turn my beautiful wonderful pot of turkey bones and veggie stock into a tasty pot of soup, and make a batch of bread to go with it for our supper.

On August 10, Breehy and I found a Hazelnut tree on our way back from Wineberry, a fabric and yarn store on the corner of 64 Avenue and 152 Street. At least Chris, my English/Newfie pal, said it was a Hazelnut tree, and I agreed after doing a Yahoo image search. In August the Hazelnuts looked like this -
So now, in October, I wanted to see what they would look like, and maybe get a few to take home, assuming I wouldn't have to either fight off the squirrels who were supposedly gathering them, or climb trees in order to find any. So off we went, a little downhill to King George Boulevard, heading to Hazelnut Meadows Park and the pursuit of the mighty Hazelnut. 

On the way, I passed this beautiful fence, and I thought, how nice - goodness knows what's hiding behind it, as there was no way of peeking, the fence wrapped around the other sides too as far as I could see. I thought of it as a pleasant way to keep people out. 
And far back in someone's yard, I found a fixer-upper for Howard, although he didn't seem interested when I showed him the picture. He's always saying how he'd like to have a boat.
This looks like it may have potential for our next breakfast - I'm sure it will beat our latest adventure at Knight & Day on King George Boulevard. After a plate of bacon and eggs, we could even run upstairs and get a tattoo. Or a piercing.
 Even though the day was gray and drizzly, Autumn was still very evident. I remember a few years ago, Howard and I went unsuccessfully searching for fall colours in Richmond, and found none. Now fall is just starting, and the colours are popping out everywhere in this beautiful city.
 The one below isn't very vibrant, but I thought it was very pretty in a pastel kind of way.
 Traffic lessened as I got nearer to the park, even though it was still relatively close to the busy Newton area of Surrey.
 I couldn't see any signage for the park, but figured an entrance to what looks like the park was probably the park, so in we went. Here were woodsy paths, so we - I walked. I didn't want Breehy popping a tire on a stabby something sticking up somewhere.
 After a wee while, I realized I must have taken a side-detour to heaven. Thank goodness it was only a short visit - how beautiful was this. However, this is when I realized that my surroundings were virtually soundless. I didn't hear a single bird sing, or a single twig snap. This felt very weird, and that's when I remembered reading this on a site before I left - so I sort of hurried on my way.
Then I was greeted by two big dogs, with no obvious owner in sight. Now, these dogs looked okay, but one never knows. Maybe the rabid monster who lives in the woods had already bitten them, and they were out for blood. The black one, however, took one look at me and ran away - he probably felt the same way about me. The yellow one came over and said hello. However, you can tell he doesn't like getting his picture taken.

This reminded me of an excerpt from that great, classic short story, The Bike Ride -

Dogs come over to say hello, and their people call to them or yank on their leashes hurrying them back to the parking lot. I wonder why the little dogs are on leashes, while the huge dogs with the slobbering lips and giant glistening teeth can wander free; I’d rather be attacked by a little mad thing I could grab by the head and fling in the bushes, rather than by a distant relative of Cujo. 

This was truly a beautiful park, but I couldn't find any Hazelnut trees. I did find a paved path, and travelled that one, to no avail. So I headed away, towards King George and 64 Avenue, where I had first seen the hazelnut babies in August. Along the way, I found some blackberries still hanging on this late in the year. Most of the crops were all shrivelled and black, but these late bloomers were a nice little taste of summer for me. Even though I could only reach two.
And even though I got to where I was going, I didn't get to why I was going. These blasted hazelnuts were right beside these blackberry bushes in August, and now there were none to be seen. I had obviously forgotten the shape of the leaf, the exact place - something. So now I have to go back next summer, and next time I'll be more alert regarding my surroundings. In fact I'll take some chalk and mark my front tire, so I'll have no problem finding the ripe nuts in October.

The day wasn't a complete loss though. I found this pretty hydrangea bush, dusky purple blossoms just in season for early Hallowe'en.
 And some pretty pink roses still perfuming the fall air.
 Close to home, I find that even though Surrey recycles, it obviously doesn't recycle garbage bins.
And so, about two hours later, Breehy and I stumble home, a bit worse for the wear.
*********
There are a few blue birds in the trees around our house, and I managed to get this poor shot of one in the tree outside our kitchen window a couple of weeks ago. I thought they were Blue Jays, but I was wrong.
They are Stellar Jays - I stole this picture from Yahoo search images, and realize it is the same as the bright blue bird I saw on my way home from Mud Bay this past summer. Now to make sure we find their favourite food so they decide to stay.
Howard hung a bird feeder in front of the kitchen window last week, and we have lured chickadees, sparrows, some small birds with brown bodies and black heads (or the other way around, not sure), plus today, this brave bushy tailed squirrel who squirreled down the rope.

The little bugger. I'm sure he laughed at me every time I ran out and shooed him away. I had already given him lots of peanuts, but he got too greedy, so Howard now has to replace the rope with wire to keep this little fellow away.

13 kilometres = 8  miles. Not a long trip, but a tiring trip for someone who hasn't ridden bike in a while. Now I have to build up the same stamina I had this past summer, as I still have a couple of longer adventures I want to complete before the really nasty weather sets in!

No comments:

Post a Comment