Monday, October 15, 2012

OCTOBER 15 - Steveston/Storybrooke, Scarecrows and So What?

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work I went, on this drizzly gray dark morning. During my lunch break, I took a little stroll around Steveston to see what was new - and I found lots of stuff!

Sara's Ice Cream store has a window advertising ice-creams specially made for and named after the Once Upon a Time stars. I haven't tried any of these flavours - I still haven't got over this past summer, when I waited for a week for them to have Rhubarb Ice Cream, to finally get a scoop about the size of a tablespoon (over $3) and not like it, not one bit. It had the texture of thick yogurt, and it wasn't very tasty at all. So disappointed.
 And Splash! Toy Store has a window dedicated to this great show also.
A lot of Steveston merchants are taking part in a Scarecrow Crawl, which consists of displaying a unique scarecrow in front of their businesses in October. My cell phone camera and I found a few really good ones. See if you can figure out the type of store before you scroll to the bottom of the picture! (Aha! A game!)
not sure about who owns this one actually
Juvelista, a jewelry store
Splash Toy Store
Dentist Office
Meow and Bark Avenue - a pet supply store
Violet Hill - a ladies clothing store
Prickly Pear - a garden store

The Spotted Frog - a Canadian made furniture store
Stepin Out - a shoe store
Bare Basics - lingerie

a make your own wine place - Steveston Wine Makers
 Canada Post and Information Centre

Steveston General Store - second hand goods
A Vet's Clinic
 There, wasn't that fun? Maybe I'll find some more at a later date.

Now, you may be wondering why I have this picture of a camper truck. This was parked in front of the store when I got there this morning, and being a very observant citizen, I noticed there were no licence plates on it. There was a temporary licence sticker in the back window, but that had expired three days prior. So I thought maybe it was a stolen vehicle and reported it to the police.

They weren't concerned at all. The guy I talked to asked me to find the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and after a trip back into the store to find a magnifying glass and standing on my tiptoes and squinting, I managed to read it to him. It turned out it wasn't reported as stolen. I was told if it was still there after 3 hours, they would check on it. I said I didn't think you could park an uninsured vehicle on a street. The officer didn't seem to care one way or another.

This past summer, Steveston streets were crawling with bylaw officers passing out parking tickets left, right and centre. Now, in October, it was okay to have an unlicensed vehicle on the streets - parked there, and obviously driven there. Hmm.

However, he said he would send a bylaw officer down to check on it, but after half an hour, two Chinese guys came along, hopped in, and drove away. I guess that illegal act isn't high on the priority list for Richmond RCMP.

So, if you see this camper in your travels, be aware. It's uninsured - so if it hits you, you're in tough luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment