Friday, July 25, 2014

Back to the Past - with my little ditties and pics ... Winter Wonderland? I Think Not ....




We used to have winter way back in late 70's, in Newfoundland, and I am shivering in the low 20's (Celcius) now just thinking about it.

The first school where I taught in Trinity was up high on a hill, and to get there, I had to first go up Doctor's Hill, which for those of you not familiar with the area, was indeed a hill, and then go up the hill to the school - which was situated half (well, maybe a quarter) way up Gun Hill. Doctor's Hill would usually be plowed if there was school, but not the school hill. Oh no, that was only a path, with a fence on one side. This fence was handy to hang on while climbing up the icy path in one's platform boots.

If you look at the picture below, you can see that school, perched way way up. The middle set of windows were in my grades 3/4 classroom. Check out snow levels .... 
 However, as Mr Smith found out one morning, the fence didn't always do its job, as he was half way up, probably with chains on his boots, when he met me cruising backwards, down towards him on my hands and knees.

The fence wasn't practical either when it was buried under 3 feet of snow. (I just hope all you ex-pupils realize how difficult it was for your mini-skirted teacher to arrive at the schoolhouse door each morning. It was true dedication.)

As I attempted Doctor's Hill
All covered well with ice
I only slipped a million times
And cracked my bottom twice.

And when I almost reached the top
A 50 hour breeze
Gave me a nudge and down I sailed 
Upon my hands and knees

And down I slid past Esther's gate
As quickly as the devil
And didn't stop until I hit
A pot-hole on the level.

Of course, these wintry days weren't always a bad thing. Not when the snow and wind combined to make a wailing blizzard, and there was no school for the day. That's when I'd just crawl into bed with Ivy and Suzanne, and we'd hibernate. I'm pretty sure we'd have a stash of junk food and smokes for nourishment, also.
When the school was closed down after Christmas in 1974 all the kids were bussed 'round the arm' to a brand new, modern elementary school adjoining Bishop White High School, and together they became Bishop White All-Grade, where I was placed in a Grade 4 classroom. I never passed that grade, not in almost 20 years - in fact, I was very content just being held back year after year.

Besides the schooling of the kids in Trinity Bight, the school was a sort of community centre, and I remember at least two 'courses' that were offered.

Doctor Duncan taught all the teachers First Aid. I almost needed first aid when Vernie, my friend and coworker, actually stopped all my vital organs with her version of the Heimlich maneuver. Or maybe it was the CPR punch that usually breaks ribs. Whatever it was, it left me lying in a foetal position trying unsuccessfully to get my breath. I guess I did eventually. It seemed time stopped.

We're Doctor Duncan's helpers
And if do things right
We'll save your life if possible
And you won't even get a bill
To make you all uptight.

If you have wounds we'll dress them
With bandages and such
We'll splint and sling and respirate
We'll do you up what e'er your fate
Just pray you're not hurt much.

We'll stop that cut from bleeding
We'll whumph what makes you choke
And if your heart decided to halt
We'll punch it back - it's not our fault
If all your ribs get broke.

If you black out we'll gently
Place you in semi prone
And keep our eyes on watch for you
Prepared to do what we must do
Til someone comes to phone.

If you get burned severely
We'll pour cold water there
And if we have to carry you
Three knuckles up is what we'll do
A very handy chair.

We're Doctor Duncan's helpers
So if you need First Aid
Be sure that one of us is near
And you'll have nothing else to fear
Yes sir, you'll have it made. 

I'm just glad I never had to put any of that stuff into use, especially as my knees turn to water at the sight of blood. One thing about the modern times, a cell phone is always near at hand, and I'm sure an ambulance would arrive before anyone bled out.

A Monday night Torture class that probably didn't last long was an exercise class led by our principal, Mr Kelley. It's a wonder we all didn't need First Aid after an hour or so of this. It's probably the reason I stay clear of exercise now.

You must have heard of Nazis
The tortures they'd devise
To inconvenience every part
From toenails up to eyes 

Well they've finally infiltrated
Newfoundland, to our distress
And where they're starting out at
Is not too hard to guess

Yes, Monday nights at Bishop White
When Melvin holds the whip
And drives us poor sweet ladies
Til we're frothing at the lip

O-kay! Beep-beep! touch your toes
Raise your legs, your chins
Don't pay attention to the death
Of muscles in your shins

But we'll get him back some day
When playing soccer, and 
We'll whop that ball right at him
Revenge will be so grand.

Of course, we also did fun stuff in the school - like playing darts in the staffroom. During our lunch hour, of course. Usually after we ate lunch, and some of us had filled the room up with smoke, making visibility poor for the dart throwers.

Well, Sandy got on first
With a double to the board
You should have heard the squealing
When she scored!

And then 'twas Cec's turn
Three darts were not enough
You should have heard the language
Things got rough.

And poor Yvonne decided
To use the duplicator
You should have heard the cries of pain
When Ada's third dart hit 'er.

But that was not enough
And Audrey, acting cool
Aimed for Barry, bending down 
Scored fifty for the bull.

Oh yes, these were indeed the good old days. However, winter still reared its ugly head, as this school was in Port Rexton, and I lived in Trinity. Which meant instead of crawling up two hills - I had to drive up, down and around eight miles of them - commonly known as going round the arm -to get to work.

As I was driving 'round the arm'
The wind galed up into a 'starm'
 The snow began to drift and blow
I couldn't see just where to go
But crawled along without a hitch
Until I landed in a ditch.

Of course, snow wasn't the only impediment to driving that particular course. I remember once, while driving home after some night-time do, it was so foggy I could barely see the hood of the car, and had to stick my head out of the driver's side window so I estimate where the turn-off at Lockston was.

Yup. Pretty much like this: 
 
 So as you can,  between the snow and the ice and the fog, 40-year-ago Newfoundland winters were definitely not for sissies. Got to go now, the temp has dropped below 20 degrees Celcius - time to turn on the furnace.



 
 

1 comment:

  1. Things have changed so much but you have brought the memories back full tilt!

    ReplyDelete