Sunday, July 20, 2014

New Way of Doing Things - Plus Tons of Stuff - Boats, Whales, Trucking, and Forest Fires .... etc etc etc ....

Since my loyal readership has diminished greatly in the past few months, due I suspect to my lack of writing, I've decided to once again change my way of doing things. Instead of lengthy writings with thousand of pictures sporadically posted to this blog, I'm going to try to be more short and sweet and often. Not sure if I can post every night like I did a few years ago, but I'll try. There must be some exciting stuff that happens to me on days I don't travel - we'll see.

As some of you know, I'm a boat widow. Hubby is no doubt in 7th Heaven, spending time with his family in Newfoundland, sailing in the Leah Caroline - (now I get to steal pictures)
(photo posted by Barbara Vokey)
 - probably yelling 'Thar she blows' as whales frolic and dip alongside the gunnels. Not that I'm jealous, of course. I would much rather be here working 8 hours a day, bracketed by 2 hours of transit on each end. Who likes whale watching anyway? (more stolen pictures coming .... )
(Photo posted by Trinity Eco Tours)
And of course, the cod fishery is open while he's there, so he's probably been feasting on fresh cod, so fresh it's probably flipping its tail in the fry pan.
(photo posted by Devin Hookey)
Oh well. There's still 3 Basa fillets in the freezer. We'll probably pan fry them later on this week. Sigh.

However, life is good on the west coast too, and I've had a pretty busy week. Last Thursday, I headed up to Prince George with Neil, and I have some pictures of the first few hours of our journey - and these are MINE, not stolen borrowed from Facebook postings from incredibly kind, generous and non-suing for copyright people back home.

Now, you may say, she's already posted lots of tunnel pictures, what's the big deal? Well, you just look really close ... and you may decide you actually like your current job. Personally I'd rather deal with an irate customer than hang from ropes on a rock cliff. But that's just me.
Sometimes the train tracks cling to the sides of the mountains, but sometimes they curve alongside the highway.
And some times the highway clings to the side of the mountains - I like this side better than the other though. This is Jackass Pass, and the other side of the road has a way, way down beside it.
As we were nearing Lytton, we passed the airfield where the fire-fighting helicopters were landing. Neil said this one was the biggest one - but my the time I aimed my phone out the window we were zooming past.
 Coming down through the Snake Pit.
Here's one of the reasons the fire-fighting helicopters were based nearby. There were so many forest fires blazing across the province last week, most of them caused by lightning. This one was blazing in the mountains just north of Lytton, and there were times when we could see the lick of flames in the smoke, and a couple of helicopters flying in.
So that's all for tonight, folks. I still have lots of post fodder to sift through - so stay tuned, stay well ... and if you happen to be fighting these fires - stay safe. I know a lot of people have you in their prayers. And thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment