Sunday, September 2, 2012

SEPTEMBER 2 - Sleep-overs of All Sizes, Riding in 'Cars' With Boys, Yummy Stuff and A New Number for September

We've had a busy couple of days, but that doesn't necessarily mean this is going to be a really interesting post - however, I'll do my best.

This little fellow let us sleep in until 7 AM on Saturday morning - he is such a good boy. As you can see he found 'stuff' to keep himself amused. I thought his daddy would love to see this pic - but when I had a closer look, I realized his daddy would be really proud of the death grip he has around poor little Olivia's neck. She usually has such a sheltered life - the only time she works is when I need her (rarely) to model doll's clothes. Although I guess she, like I, would benefit from a trip to the hairdresser.
The rest of Saturday was pretty hectic - getting food ready for dinner, so when Wilson and Elaine arrived from Grand Prairie for their sleep-over (yup, a busy weekend for sleep-overs at the Vokey residence) we could sit, chat, and reminisce. Or at least sit and listen to the husbands chat. 'They' (whoever these wise 'Theys' are) say women are the big talkers. To that, I respond with a great big 'HA.' The house resounded with the pitter patter of little and big feet, the faint aroma of burned buns, and the shrill of the smoke alarm as Howard neglected his BBQed ribs. All in all, an ordinary afternoon at home.

This morning, I was lucky enough to get a ride to work, Wilson driving, Howard riding shot-gun, and Elaine and I in the back. It wasn't a truck, so everything was good - unlike years ago 'back home' riding in the back of Ephraim's truck in the pouring rain on our way back from a whale watching expedition on the cliffs at Spaniard's Cove - oh the memories!

Yes, there it is in black and white. And some unknown brown chocolatey substance.

Since we got to Steveston quite early, we headed to the Fisherman's Wharf to check out the boats. At least that's what Wilson and Howard did, so Elaine and I tagged along.

The first boat we saw was selling Big Red Sea Urchins. Back home, we'd get Small Green Sea Urchins, about a quarter of the size of these. They don't look very much alive, but then, how can you tell? Really? To me, they would be handy to have around if you needed a toothpick.
 The guys didn't take long finding and sizing up the boats ...
 ... and my phone camera enjoyed the calmness of a Sunday morning ...
 It was really hard to get pics of tourists, though, as they kept turning and walking away ...
... or trying to take pictures of famous people (like me)

 There may have some suggestions on improving this big old boat - not sure. This is definitely a shipwright's stance.
However, all good things must come to an end, and after a quick trip around Steveston Farmers Market
Howard, Elaine and Wilson headed off for more adventures, and poor me? Well, I headed off for work.

As usual, the high point of my day was lunch. Today I decided to try the Spring Rolls from Sushi Ten, as I had heard rumours they were very good -
 - and they were! Six little fingers of deliciousness for $3.50 - plus tax.
BUT - before I tried them I was concerned that I might not like them, so I decided to get something else, just in case I had to throw away yucky spring rolls and spend the day nursing hunger pangs and complaining. So I went to the The Cannery Cafe, also known as Granny's Diner for the TV series Once Upon a Time, and bought this ...
 ... which, surprisingly enough, contained this ...
 ... Blueberry Pie. Now, since I enjoyed the Spring Rolls so much, I didn't really need to eat this pie. I thought maybe I could take it home for Howard, or Steve - but what the heck -
It was really delicious. Burp.

Now, I know everyone is wondering about September 1's new number, as I didn't blog last night. So here it is.

167.5

Could be better, could be worse. I'm still enjoying my big slices of home-made bread. Just ask Elaine.

No comments:

Post a Comment