Wednesday, August 15, 2012

AUGUST 15 - Yesterday, Today - but not Tomorrow

Steveston was quite busy yesterday, and as you can see, for a while there was a real emergency - when a huge monster broke through from the Underworld .....
... well, NO, of course not. More filming of Once Upon a Time, and this big hole in the road comes and goes   about two times a month. I didn't meet Prince Charming, or see any other Important people today - I was too busy working.

We had a returning customer in the store yesterday, buying lots of craft supplies. I asked her if she was on the set, and she said her son was in the show. So Chris asked her what part he played, and she said 'Henry.' Well.  Henry is the young boy who is probably the star of the show, as he's in just about every episode, and the story is really brought about by him. Wow. She was very low-keyed for a 'stage mom', I would think. In fact, she is the very opposite of what I would have thought a 'stage mom' would be. Some 'stage moms' of 'extras' come in and they are soooo full of themselves.  Her son had two seasons on Mad Men, for your mad Mad Men fans, plus did some commercials and guest appearances - they are from San Diego, but spend 9 months here filming Once Upon a Time.

However, we're getting our gas from here from now on - assuming we can find the 7/10 of a cent coins.
This morning promised to be HOT - and I thought maybe too hot to take Breehy on our usual Day Off adventure. I had planned to bike to Watershed Park, about a 20km round trip, plus whatever trails we followed while there, but when I thought of the ride back in the afternoon heat, I sort of wimped out. Also, when checking the park on the Internet, it is a forest park, and not a watery park, so I didn't suppose there would be anywhere to walk in cool wet water. However, this plan is just taking a back seat for now - I will make it on some cooler day, you can count on that!

So, instead, my buggy (I really need to name my buggy) and I headed up to City Central  mall, the Royal Bank, Pricesmart, Canadian Tire, the Surrey Farmer's Market and Toys'R'us.

I just happened to look up, way up, as I walked by the kitchen side of our house where there are beautiful trees growing towards the sky - and saw this.
 I could have done without seeing this, as these black things were wriggling like a mass of worms. Worms I can manage. I don't think I like this hanging about 10' from my bedroom window. I also have no idea what all the black dots are, or what they will be in the near future. (A talk with Steve eased my mind somewhat - these wriggling little creatures will become moths or butterflies. Probably moths, I think he just said butterflies because butterflies are pretty, and he didn't want to freak me out. Moths I can live with, as long as they don't get into my wool stash.)

However, we kept going, past the meadows park. In early summer there were hundreds (t'ousands?) of wildflowers growing here, and it was a really true meadow. But now they keep it mowed and it's more like somebody's lawn. Not our lawn. Ours needs to be mowed as there will soon be hundreds of wildflowers growing there. Howard calls them weeds, but really it's mostly clover, which I don't consider weeds.
 I think I may have mentioned before that Howard was the first one to notice that the mall in Central City had a roof shaped like a jet plane.
 I stole a better picture from someone who was allowed way up in a tower nearby - pretty cool, eh? Not such a nice blue sky as today, though.
Central City mall is just a mall, like all malls across Canada, and probably across the US too. If you were knocked out and transported to a mall blindfolded , when you woke up you would have no idea what city you were in. Which is why I don't like malls. However, on HOT days I can put aside my dislikes and walk in air conditioned halls. Not only was it 31 degrees Celcius outdoors, it had a Humidex of 35, which made me realize I should start being a better person, because I really don't want to go to Hell.

I think these signs are pretty smrt. Altho I wondr if puting thm on evry scnd bs stp sheltr, and in the mll, isn't a litl wstefl also?
 On the way home, with the buggy (Georgia) filled with groceries, beach toys and other miscellaneous items, we took a different entrance path into Holland Park, and saw some cool things. I thought at first this was a War Memorial, but no - it's another Art Installation, named 'Protecting the Future, Serving the Present.'
 This old tree trunk has a second life as a planter. I just love Holland Park!
And here's the skyline over the park. The grass isn't as healthy as it could be - this is where the Fusion Festival was held, and where they show movies under the stars. Add in the lack of rain and what do you get? Dead and/dying grass. Note that blue sky - proof a picture below is a truth.
 I love the stylized flowers towering above the park.
  - and to end it all - Blue Skies shining on me ...
Yes, this is an actual picture of the actual sky over me. Not a cloud in sight.

Well, it's 7pm and it's still a boiling 31 degrees. Excuse me while I wipe my sweaty brow.

No comments:

Post a Comment