Monday, August 6, 2012

AUGUST 6 - Pride Parade (a day late) and Thousands of Pictures

We started out with 5 souls braving the heat - Nikkie, Marina, Megan and Amanda. However, before the parade even started, one took a raging headache home, which left us with 4. 
We passed this float on the way to a Spot to stand, where we could get a close-up view with no taller people in front. It will pass us by later on!
 The RCMP Drill Team were out in full 'force' (get it?) as were RCMP officers in traditional colours, and the Vancouver Police Chief himself. The SWAT truck was also in the parade, and that helped us keep a low profile.
What hit me with a great problem in posting this was the huge number of pictures we took - what to post, what to not. So I decided to do snaps of things one would probably only see at a Pride Parade, especially where the police had quite a high profile. I don't think some these people would get away with their costuming - or lack of it - at the annual Christmas Parade.


Global had a float, which was cool. A lot of TV stations, including CBC, and radio stations also 'floated' - although I was very disappointed not to see JRFM represented. Seems like Pride is not their Country.
A colourful character - there were many colourful characters.


There were Dykes on Bikes (at least I think that's what they were called, I hope I'm not offending anyone.) All I know, they were very cool, had some ultra cool bikes, and were having a whole lot of fun.
I think the legs are a give away.



Somebody behind me said this was the oldest queen in Vancouver - so I guess it was appropriate that 'she' went royally - check him out - Bill Monroe - Razzle Dazzle
Actually, the guy behind me who said that was probably the biggest idiot/jerk watching the parade. He spent the two hours making fun of everything and trying to impress someone he knew from away with his vast knowledge and witty comments. Not so witty. Not so impressive. Reaching over us, pushing and poking me in the back, trying to catch stuff that was being thrown our way. I reached up at one point and caught a string of beads on my finger, and he just pulled it, jerking my poor finger backwards. I said 'Ouch!' and he did say I could have them. I just said, 'If it's that important to you that you have to almost break my finger, you can have them.' JERK. (I do have a better word for him, but you know what I said I wouldn't do anymore, right?)|
 Bert and Ernie were there, holding hands, hugging, and stealing the occasional kiss. I had heard the rumours, of course, but seeing is believing I suppose.

 I like the Trojan guys. Come on now, who wouldn't?
 ... and they did have a nice truck.
 The gal in the bikini was shimmy-shammying all over the place - she was shaking more than her booty, that's for sure, guess I should have taken a video instead of a still!
Yeah! All for the medicinal benefits of this drug, although I bet a lot of people who signed the petition don't have a lot of aches and pains.

I really liked this float and the parade of people around it. Signs reading: I AM GAY AND I CAN PLAY, and I'M NOT GAY BUT THEY CAN PLAY and MY SON IS GAY AND HE CAN PLAY -  really well done. 
 I'm not sure who he was, but I'm glad he was dressed a bit!
 ... and more colourful characters ...
 Gotta love the sailors - men with mops are few and far between.
 The Green Party had a great display too.
Sticks and stones may break my bones - but I think whips would hurt too!
 More than her ears are hanging low
 ... and more ....

The Naughty Nun left the back of his habit at the convent - his cheeks got a good airing though. Not sure how many Hail Marys will save his naked ass.
 I just thought, How cute are they? Very cute indeed!
 Not sure what hair products are used here, but I could do with some of that!
 
 Naked man warning ...
 .... and more colourful characters - they just kept popping up!
 ... and popping out .... let's hope none of them pop though ...
 Love this one - so very pretty
 Bubbles and flowers and colours of the rainbow ...
 The Raging Grannies
 The gal in the front dry humped just about everything in sight.






After the parade, Nikkie and I joined the crowds and headed to Sunset Beach, where the festival was ongoing. We were now down to 2, as Marina and Megan wimped out with the heat halfway through the parade. Here was a chance to get up close and personal with some of the 'Colourful Characters.' Some Asian guys really got off on pics with these guys, who were really accommodating to their desires. 

 One of the Grand Marshalls was  Jenna Talackova - 
beautiful, gracious, and tall - a genuine beautiful woman inside and out.
 Here we see a very cute garden fairy -
 Can't really say the same about this one though ...
 We headed to the beach to cool down a bit - it was SO hot and we just needed to get our knees in that cold water - that cold muddy water, with unknown thingies on the bottom.
 Sunset Beach and the Burrard Street Bridge

After cooling off and taking in more of the festival grounds, of which we never got any pictures, for some strange reason, we headed back over miles and miles of hot sidewalks to the sky train station. This building was all decked out with Pride - so very cool indeed!

 Stopping for a rest on a lovely tree trunk

And that's it. Only 24 hours late.
 If you feel the need to see some great photos of the parade, just check out this link to The Vancouver Sun

1 comment: