Saturday, August 11, 2012

AUGUST 11 - Chinatown - Festival, Gardens, and Skip Skip Skip


After deciding this morning to have one of these, although even more lazy, as in stay home, do very little, not much, diddly squat and absolutely nothing, I ended up going 32 km - for a total of 64 km, as I did return home. Now, you may be thinking, there's no way she went that far on Breehy and lived to tell the story, and you are right. Instead, I went with a brand new 5-year old (Happy Birthday, Lizzie!) and a 6-year old, and their mommy - which left me even more exhausted than if I had ridden Breehy all the way and back again. Here they are, fresh and energized, waiting for a bus to the sky train.
Off the train, and across the road to a little park with a Ricky's Restaurant, where we had lunch, washroom breaks, and a bit of dancing on the grass.

Walking down Beatty Street to the Vancouver Chinatown Festival, we passed The Sun Tower Building, and other historic buildings.
The Millennium Gates are at the entrance of  Chinatown on Pender Street.
Today they were guarded by fierce monsters, who posed with the white lions.
If you ever want to get shanghaied, I guess this is where you would go. I know a few people who would be easily shanghaied with the promise of booze.
Near the gates is the famous Dr Sun Yat-Sen Gardens, usually a very quiet and peaceful sanctuary in the middle of a busy city. Not so much today. However - we saw turtles and frogs and ducks -

-and a bamboo grove -
with a Giant Panda -
- oops, got the pictures in the wrong order, that was later on, at the festival.

Rickshaw ride, anyone?
There were lots of booths selling souvenirs, such as fans (or winds, as the kids call them), parasols, lucky coins .... etc
Statues for climbing.
I believe this is a war memorial.
Showing the kids how to do origami.

Playing the hockey game






A Potter. Not a Harry Potter. The scene from Ghost was better.
Fishing for dragons. I'm glad they weren't real dragons, because they caught a lot of them.
And wow, were there ever a lot of bouncy castles!
And this brought us to a sample food booth. When I asked what it was, she said 'Dim Sum, try it, good,' so I  accepted this. Popped the whole thing in my mouth and almost threw up. Spat it back in the serviette. Yuck. I can still taste it. Phew. I still want to spit. Plus it had the texture of what I imagine a jellyfish lying in the sun for a few hours would be like. Shiver. Needless to say, I didn't even try the wobbly yellow bean something-or-other on the serviette beside it.
The most amazing thing (besides the dim sum, that is) was the Double Dutch skip team, two guys and a gal gave a tremendously good show. Too bad I didn't get tremendously good pictures -
- but I did get a video! Yeah! And it's not sideways!
They asked for some volunteer participants - and got the cool TD guy, whose feet were a tad too big.
Then they got this cute little girl - oh my, it's Lizzie!
And this handsome lad - why, it's Chris! Good jumping, Liz and Chris!
And then everyone begged mommy to have a try! Not me though. Strange as it may seem, no one ever wants to see me try anything, be it skipping or pole dancing. Oh well. My knee was sore anyway.
We stopped in at the gardens again on the way back to the sky train station. Once again, they were pretty peaceful - until we showed up.
Mmm. Wish we were having fish for supper instead of spaghetti.
And here is my Chinese horoscope. I am a Dragon. No comment, please. I am all the good stuff below, and none of the bad stuff. I turned out okay.
After a stop at Tim Hortons for Frozen Lemonade and Timbits, it was two long, hot, crowded rides home, one on skytrain and one on bus.

Next Saturday it's the Anime Convention in downtown Vancouver. we aren't going to the convention, of course, but we are going to go gawk at all the people who are going, as they will be dressed up in all kinds of cool costumes. I think I may up my vitamin supplements to get ready for that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment