Wednesday, July 11, 2012

JULY 11 - Breehy, the Fraser River, Beach and Bear Creek Park

Breehy-hinny-brinny-hoohy-hah and I set off early this morning on a quest for water. Since we are way too far from the ocean, we figured a river would make do - not a creek, or a brook, or water flowing from a culvert, but a river. The Fraser River. I've crossed it many times, in the big blue truck, and on bus, and yes, even on sky train, so I knew it was out there somewhere. The only thing was, would I find it on bike without getting lost?

Yes, I could.

We left in good spirits, the air cool enough to wear a sweater for a little while. A quick stop at the market to get a bottle of water to replace the one I left on the kitchen table, and we were on our way, doing our usual thing - me taking Breehy uphill, and she taking me downhill and on the level. There wasn't much level. However, I did find that I was riding a lot more on the uphills than on past excursions.

 A gas station's curbside was home to a burst of roses - real ones that smelled just like roses ought to smell. So of course, I had to stop and smell them for a minute.
 The way to the River was along a lot of downhill and a lot of uphill. One hill farther along was so steep I wouldn't dare to ride it - so I got off Breehy and brought her. I can't say I pushed her downhill - I had to hang on so she didn't take off on her own. (How do you get down from a bike? You don't - you get down from a duck.)

 When the road appears to be cut off at a certain point, you know two things:

  1. You aren't going to ride down it
  2. You aren't going to ride up it
We finally reached River Road, although there was no river in sight yet. I knew it was there somewhere, but in between it and us were a lot of industrial sites. However, I could see the risers from the Alex Fraser bridge in the not too far distance, so off we headed.

Then I ran into this (not literally):

 And lots of these -

I finally realized I wasn't going to risk life and limb on a sidewalkless road filled up with great big trucks, some mobile and some parked. So I turned around and headed the other way. I did find a nice sidewalk farther on - but am glad I was aware of my surroundings when it ended. This meant I once again had to share the road with big trucks.
 And then I began seeing these bloody signs: No Pedestrian or Cyclist Access to South Fraser Way. That's where the river was. And I was a Pedestrian or Cyclist, depending on the layout of the ground. As Nikkie would say - Grrrrrrr.
 So on we travel, and finally were rewarded, even with a bike path. And between the bike path and the road a beautiful berm with roses and wildflowers. In the far front you can see the tall 'masts' of the sky train bridge, the one spanning the Fraser River, the same one I travel twice every work day.

 Hmmm. I really didn't care at this point. I'm going in anyway. It says Danger - No Water Access, and the pics show naughty people swimming and doing something else, I can't see and I can't remember. But - I went in anyway. Well, not in the water - but through the path.

 I don't often get this view of the sky train bridge. That's New Westminster on the other side.

 My favourite snap of the day - the Patulla Bridge. What a beautiful little beach here!



 Just what I needed! A notepad, a pen, Stephen King, and a log to sit on.
And here's a train going over the bridge. And I'm not on it. Life is good.
 However, since all good things must come to an end, after about half an hour it was time to find my way home. I knew exactly where we were, and knew a shorter way of getting home - all I had to do was sort of follow the sky train track to King George Boulevard.

Now, the terrain here was much different from the way I came. Earlier on, it was uphill, flat, downhill, flat, uphill .... well, you get my drift. King George decided to put all the uphill in one fell swoop at the beginning, so I walked and pushed it seemed for miles .... and miles .... and miles. I said to Breehy at one point, 'I sure wish they had a bench to sit on,' and Voila!

Not really a bench, but it did the job and enabled me another few miles ... and miles.

Well, I did get home, and had a couple of easy hours. I traced my route on my map, and we had covered just over 20 inches - and at an inch to a 1/2 mile - that means we had travelled over 10 miles.

However, that didn't seem enough punishment for my muscles, so I finished the afternoon with a trip to the park with a couple of kiddies and their mommy - not a hard chore at all!



Now the day is almost over, and dusk is setting in. Work again tomorrow, although I don't really want to think about that. I would much rather be sitting under the bridge than racing over it in a tin can.

No comments:

Post a Comment