Sunday, July 1, 2012

JULY 1 - My New Number, Canada Day, and a Memory

163.5 - I know that's a horrible number. I feel I am sliding uphill at a fast pace, and if I'm not careful my skirts and jeans will no longer fit, and that wouldn't be good as I got rid of all the ones that would fit once these wouldn't fit any more. So I have to get back into soups and salads and get used to being hungry all the time and start walking and biking ..... but right now - all I want to do is sleep.

HAPPY CANADA DAY!

To tell the truth, I didn't have a Happy Canada Day at all, and swear I'm not working on July 1 next year. I'm going to book it off as soon as I find a 2013 Calendar - I don't even care if it's a Playboy calendar, I'm buying it and booking the day off.

First of all, buses and skytrain were packed solid. I didn't have to leave too early, as I didn't have to open the store until noon, since there was a Canada Day Parade traveling the street in front of the store. However, I still had to make sure I would get there in time, as Sunday trains and buses don't go so often, and therefore there are longer wait times. I did manage to sit all the way to Steveston, but this year the last bus stop was more than two blocks away from Moncton, and one block away from the store - I swear, every year they stop farther and farther away. I didn't mind walking, but walking through throngs of people is another thing, as they were just 'marling' along.

For those of you who don't know what 'marling' is - I have a little memory to explain it for you.

Setting: Staff Room at Bishop White Elementary, way back in the dark ages. Second bell rings - oops, we were all supposed to be in our classrooms five minutes ago .... and somebody (Ada, I think) says,
'Guess we should marl up to our rooms.'
And Barry, a high school teacher, asks, 
'Marl ... what does that mean, anyway?' which just shows that high school teachers don't know everything, in my opinion ... however, I reply ...
'You've seen us walk to our classrooms after the bell rings, right? Well, that's marling.'
He got it then.


Well, marling back then was fun - a few slow minutes of walking and chatting. But this morning it wasn't fun, as I just wanted to get to where I was going, and didn't even have room to pass the slow movers. If I had been driving, I would have blasted my way through with my horn, but I wasn't. I almost had an attack of Sidewalk Rage. However, a few sideway weaves and using the road when there were no vehicles using it got me to the store in time to see the last of the parade.



It wasn't very impressive, but this was  the very last of it. I probably missed the exciting parts while I was reading Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot on the bus.

The only good thing about working was the store was only open five hours, even though there were lots of people trying to get in before we opened and after we closed. I rushed to do the deposit and hightail it to the bus stop, only to wait almost half an hour for the bus, which usually runs every 8 -10 minutes. I was lucky enough to get a seat at the front, but unlucky enough to have a two seater stroller next to me, which held a toddler (or maybe two) who had just made a terrific present for its/their mother. That aroma even got past my stuffed up allergy tormented nose.

So home I finally got. And bed I'm soon going to. 
  • Breakfast - Toast and Coffee
  • Lunch - 6" Chicken Flatbread from Subway, Cranberry Juice
  • Dinner - 2 Scrambled Eggs, a slice of Bread, Yogurt 
  • Snacks - Hot Chocolate, a piece of Low Fat Omega 3 Cranberry Loaf - tastes a lot better than it sounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment