Saturday, July 21, 2012

July 21 - Surrey Fusion Festival

So, finally, the day we've all been waiting for. We headed up 134th Street, sneaking peeks into people's yards on the way ... thinking maybe this is a baby cherry tree ...

... to Holland Park, which  I'm sure must be one of the prettiest parks in Surrey ... 



                                                                                                                                                                                                       











... and a WipeOut test, which was completed successfully ...                          

 ... until we reached out goal: Surrey Fusion Festival

What a festival! You could get food from just about every culture, and it was very hard to decide what to try. After all, one doesn't want to eat too much - plus one doesn't want to spend too much. Food tickets were $1 each, and you needed 1 or 2 for drinks, plus 4 -8 for 'entrees.' I walked around four or five times, wondering what to get - Perogies (Ukraine), Patties (South Africa ), Falafels (Saudi Arabia), Chebure K (meat pies from Russia), Tandoori Chicken (Pakistan), Tostados (Mexico), Empanadas (Chile), Jerk Chicken (Jamaica, mon), Poutine (Canadian, eh? Yeah - I mean, No, not for $8), Pineapple Buns (Chinese), Butter Chicken (Indian), Pineapple drinks in the Shell, Colombia  -
- which I really wanted, but not enough to spend $6. Maybe next year.

I was going to get a BBQ Chicken Sandwich at the French Pavilion, but figured a BBQ Sandwich wasn't adventurous enough for a wannabe food blogger - so I decided on a Vietnamese Sub, from - you guessed it - the Vietnam Pavilion. I have heard Richmond's food blogger rave about these, so I was game to give it a try. Here is Lindsay's Vietnamese Sub.
Here is mine.

Do you see the difference? I see the difference. Hers must have been a lot better tasting than mine, or she wouldn't be so gung-ho about them. The fact that the first bite I took was a mouthful of cilantro - and I HATE cilantro - didn't bode well. I opened it up, and added all the cilantro to the grass below my feet, but wasn't impressed with the rest of it either. So for me, Vietnamese Subs will NOT be on my list of Favourite Things To Eat. I knew I should have settled for the Pineapple Drink in the pineapple shell. Definitely next year.

However, the Fusion Festival isn't all about food. There were also several stages set around the park -

I'm not sure what country they were representing -

- but I know what their roots were! I love the pipes and drums, but because they were in a bandstand instead of the open air, the music was a bit muffled.

And amid all the people, there were some strange and unusual sights indeed -
The tallest gal in town
The chubbiest dancers

The weirdest dressed feller
And by far the cutest - a 3 day old calf.

So that was my day at the Fusion Festival - I would go back tomorrow, but I have to Work - one of my least favourite four-letter words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment