Sunday, July 8, 2012

JULY 8 - Schooner, Flowers and Cupcakes

I had a very quiet commute in to work this morning, as there were very few people traveling to Richmond. Probably the luckiest were either going to the beach, or were in Newfoundland for the launch of the Leah Caroline, my father-in-law's newest 44' schooner.

Built with his own hands, the wooden boat is a piece of history that was brought to life from a dream, and may indeed be the last schooner to slip into the waters of Trinity Bay. Watch and treasure the moment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e16_GR9Xm4g

One of my fellow passengers inspired me to write this little poem, and I share it with you (and beg forgiveness from Robert Frost, although I don't think he would actually care.)

Whose clothes these are I do not know
They can't belong to her, although
They cover most of her, they're Lycra
But she's a macro and they're micro.


She gives her butt a great big shake
And hauls them up - for goodness sake,
I wait to hear a roaring rip
But no, they settle round her hip.


And then a yank because her tee
Shows more than people need to see
And so I'll end with some advice
Hung on the rack it may look nice


But if like sausage skin it fits
It's better if you don't buy it.

Yup, summer's finally hit the lower mainland. If I needed proof, I got it today, stuck in a hot store while everyone else was walking around outdoors. I myself took a little stroll on my lunch break, and realized that now you actually have to look before you jay walk across the street, as there possibly could be cars coming or going.

I decided to visit one of my favourite Steveston spots
 Prickly Pear garden centre. Inside and out, this is a place of beauty.
 Walking through the side garden is Serenity. Beautiful plants, wonderful yard sculptures, fountains,
 flowers, shrubs, hanging baskets, herbs - sights and smells to amaze.


Flowers don't seem to mind where they grow, at a 'store', at a park, in your garden, or even in the ditch in front of your house. But if you live in an apartment, or don't have a green thumb, you can always find a bit of joy and peace at Prickly Pear.

 (Lupins are one of my favourite flowers. They used to grow rampart in front of my Newfoundland house, and they would almost cover the graveyard next door. What a beautiful tribute to the souls in rest!)
On the way back to work, I passed another favourite place, also known for its wonderful sights and smells.
Bell's Bake Shop, where the best Cupcakes in Steveston reside. The Red Velvet is a good choice, but then so is the Lemon, the Coconut, and ... well, just about all of them, to tell the truth. I have to very careful not to pass these doors very often, as I find it very difficult to just pass these doors.
Now, all I need is a purring Kitty at my side when I go to bed, and I'll know my five senses had a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment