Wednesday, July 4, 2012

JULY 4 - Kids, Breehy, and Gardens

I got up early this morning because I didn't want to waste any hours of my Day Off - and so far, I haven't. It's been a wonder-ful and awe-some day - in the fullest sense of the words.

I kidnapped two kids from their home this morning, as I wanted some more free labour for my garden. I don't think Steve will end up with a Vokey and Son/Daughter sign on the side of a landscaping truck, though. 

Lizzie didn't want to help plant flowers as she 'got dirt on her hand.' Poor Lizzie. Chris didn't want to dig any farther when he saw a carpenter beetle and a spider. So it was get down and dirty for nanny, while the two squeamish little monkeys settled down to Treehouse on TV. However, I thought my little garden looked very nice when I finished -
 - that is, until later on in the afternoon when I had the pleasure of a different garden.

After the kids went home, I dusted off  Breehy-hinny-brinny-hoohy-hah and we went for a ride. Once again, she brought me downhill, and I pedalled her on the level and pushed her uphill. I think she got the better end of the stick. I didn't have a plan of action - but I was on the lookout for maybe a place to get an unusual bite to eat for lunch.

I headed up 134th to 97A (I think), and rode down past Dairy Queen, where I knew I would find a wooded pathway. On the edge of same pathway, I found thousands of unripe blackberries, so I know where I'm heading with my bucket in the near future. 

And here's the path - Breehy and I had a blast going downhill (I don't think she realized her back brakes didn't work, but I was very careful with the front ones - I didn't want to sail through the air and land on top of a 40 foot tree.) Uphill was fine too, but while we were at the bottom of this little valley, I heard a gurgle, saw a mucky downhill path, and that's where I found this treasure


Pretty cool, eh?  Breehy wasn't very happy lying on the ground -

- but I wasn't very happy when I had to shove her up the slippery slope to the path. I was sure we were going to end up slipping and sliding back to the bottom again - but we didn't.

This path brought us to 140th Street, unfamiliar territory, but I bravely turned in the least uphill direction to do some more exploring. There was a bicycle lane at the side of the road, so all was good, and I pedalled until I came to a little corner shop -an Indian convenience store/take-out/laundromat/post office/video rental/gift place. And I said to myself, 'I could buy some Indian food here and see if I like it.'

So I locked Breehy to a post, and went in. First to the Diet Pepsi cooler, then to the counter.

'I'm not used to this food but I 'd like to try it. Someone not too spicy.'

She suggested samosas. I've already had samosas, and I'm not too fussy about them (although I didn't tell her that, as she probably made these,) so we decided on Tandoori Chicken and a veggie mix - green and red peppers, and onions. Back to Breehy with my little plate, and off we went looking for a spot to have a mini picnic.

Another downhill  coast and what should I find but Bear Creek Park, the perfect spot to have lunch. I rested Breehy by the table, and sat down bravely.
Looks good, right? And it wasn't bad. Maybe the fact that it had cooled off considerably (assuming it was hot when I got it) lessened its goodness. The veggies were very greasy, and the chicken, although cooked, wasn't cooked as much as it could have been. The Tandoori spices weren't hot at all, very mild - in fact, it could just as easily not been East Indian food, as far as I was concerned. Maybe a corner everything store wasn't the best place to begin my foray into another culture's cuisine.

Now, prepare to be awed. On the way out of the park, I noticed a sign for Bear Creek Gardens. I didn't know Bear Creek had Gardens, so thought I'd check it out - personally, I'm still in awe. A picture album follows, one that hardly does justice -

 BOOB ALERT .... BOOB ALERT ..... BOOB ALERT .... BOOB ALERT .... BOOB ALERT
Joan Miriam Adams
WINGED LION-WOMAN
donated to the people of Surrey by Surrey Metro Savings


Chapel in the Park - maybe I'll have my next wedding here
How beautiful is this?
A beautiful poem written on stone 
Pagoda in the Asian garden




 And this brings us to Domenic and Heather, who were working on the gardens when I went by.
I walked over, and being me, asked a question that in retrospect, I probably would have reworded.

'So, how lucky do you feel?'

I am really glad Domenic knew what I was talking about -  he said he felt really lucky, to be working in such a beautiful place. He has over 25 years in the landscaping business, and had actually planted some of the trees in the garden years ago. Now, he's been back since March, doing something he obviously loves doing, and doing it well.

I am pleased to say I never got lost at all this time, my butt never hurt from riding bike, and my mouth didn't burn from the Tandoori chicken. In fact, it wasn't until I got home and had a Yogurt that I tasted (felt?) the heat at all. Isn't that weird? No weirder than the yogurt tasted, though. All in all, a good day, a perfect day - and one of the reasons I got up early this morning. Sometimes it takes a few extra hours to pack a perfect day into 24 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment