Tuesday, July 17, 2012

JULY 17 - Sweatin' the Small Stuff, Cold Showers, and Grub

HOT! I'm finally home after a long day's work in a hot store, and a long bus ride in a super-hot tin can. Thank goodness there was some A/C happening in the sky train and the big blue truck that was waiting for me at King George station. Now it's dusk - a favourite time of day - and it's cooled down a bit, but I know the bedroom that awaits me at the top of the stairs is going to feel like an oven. It's really strange not taking icy cold feet to bed.

When I got home I watered the flowers. There are my little gardens, which aren't doing that great - we'll call this pic Ungreat Garden at Dusk in the Shadow of the Old Wood Fence ...

And then there is Howard's wonderful garden, which is doing wonderfully well ... I think it's because he got first dibs on the Topsoil, and I had to use leftovers and recycled leaves from the corner of the property ... however ... here is Pretty Flowers with Peppers Standing Guard ..
There is the planter I picked out at a Flower Sale - I chose red because I thought it would attract Hummingbirds. Bloody Hummingbirds. Haven't seen one, and I do have a proper Hummingbird feeder hanging in front of the kitchen window (or behind it, depending on where you are standing at the moment), plus the expensive Hummingbird feed that I bought at Walmart because my home-made stuff wasn't attracting them either ...however ...
And this is the prettier planter that Howard picked out, and which plays part in today's version of the Crap on Tamar game .. well, not exactly crap, I guess ...you can figure it out.
To water these planters, I have to stand on Howard's wooden box so I can reach. Even then I have to stretch my left arm with the watering can on the end of it and use my right hand to tip it over so the water drains out. For some reason tonight, the water left the spout of the can, travelled down the inside of my left arm, inside the sleeve of my short sleeved T-shirt, which acted as a funnel which brought the icy cold water  inside my shirt. Luckily the waistband of my skirt kept it from going any farther. It was cold. But Howard said all the neighbours thought it was funny. I didn't.

We decided to eat out after work, as it was:

  1. too hot to cook
  2. no one wanted to cook
  3. we would have had to go tot the grocery store to get something to cook
We stopped in at Knight and Day Restaurant on King George Boulevard on the way home. I had only eaten there once before, a mid morning breakfast, and wasn't impressed with the food at all, but this time was much better. Howard had The Longhorn Grilled Burger, which came with Onion Rings - he was much happier with this than A&W's or Dairy Queen's versions of the burger.
 I ordered the Beef Dip, and it was very good. I didn't dip much, and I only ate half the sandwich. The other half is in the fridge for Somebody Special's lunch tomorrow. Beefeater fries, frozen instead of fresh cut, but they were okay. A nice meal. That plus a beer and a tip came to $35.
I'm still stuffed, and am ready for a nice long sleep - but first there's coffee to prepare. A woman's work really is never done.

No comments:

Post a Comment