Wednesday, August 23, 2023

August 23 - Picking Howard’s brain for childhood memories regarding partridgeberries. What fun!

 What an exciting day! (Not.)

Couldn’t sleep last night, just bits and pieces, so I didn’t really wake up until the afternoon.  But then I got a it of energy - and decided to make some -


- muffins. Now these are not just any muffins. They are Partridgeberry Muffins. Berries I brought back from Newfoundland 2 years ago, and safely kept in the freezer. And, yes, I have more left. For Christmas, probably! Or a wedding party. Who knows. 

Back when Howard was a boy - many many years ago (he’s older than me) - people would keep them all winter in a small barrel in a cold room, or store room, used for all their winter supplies, 100 lb sacks of flour and sugar, cases of Carnation milk, 24-pack box of Good Luck margarine, etc, everything needed to get through the winter, because once the harbours froze over, there was no way to get supplies. And if the water the partridgeberries were in froze, you would just break off a chunk of partridgeberry-filled ice, put it in a pot on the wood stove, and add sugar to make jam.

So you see, keeping them in a freezer bag in my freezer worked very well, both for filling our tummies AND filling my blog post. 

Other than that, I made Sharon’s  Waikiki Meatballs for supper. (They are definitely the best meatballs ever. I’ll post the link below.) And that, besides the never-ending dishes, was my day. 

https://tamargetsstuffed.blogspot.com/2012/03/waikiki-meatballs-fried-rice.html

And definitely the best muffin recipe too. 

https://tamargetsstuffed.blogspot.com/2012/06/better-muffins-than-best-muffins-i-used.html

No comments:

Post a Comment