Thursday, September 14, 2023

September 14 - Finally finding my groove again - walking, baking - and while still doing dishes, that did not dominate my waking hours.


 Here is my old friend, the Power Tower I pass by every time Will and I walk to his school  I’ve taken pictures of this in all kinds of weather - today gave us a coolish morning where I wished I wore my sweater, and a hot afternoon, where I wished I didn’t have to wear any clothes at all. Only kidding. I always enjoy wearing clothes, no matter how hot it gets.

See all these bushes growing in front? Blackberry bushes, but between the first time I checked the maturity of the berries - only a few ripening and those not so sweet yet - and the next time about a week later, they were just all shriveled, dried up and tiny. Last year I would go walking with my plastic jug every morning, and bring it home filled to the brim. Except for the few times I would stop on the way and pour half of them into somebody’s bowl. Usually, but not always, somebody I knew a little. 

So, my grapes are long gone, thanks to that cute but greedy little raccoon, who only nibbled a few while we were watching, and then obviously brought his whole damn family, in-laws and all, in the dead of one night and stripped the vines. They probably spent the following week making preserves. 

However, today I found two little treasures that were hiding beneath the grape leaves most of the summer. 

Steve’s little hot pepper, just a little bit of red basking in the sun …

… and Howard’s big red bell pepper, who, unfortunately for it, will soon end up in a stir fry. 

I also found this little fellow, who came from heaven knows where. I can guarantee it won’t end up in one of Howard’s stir fries. 



Today was the first day in almost a year I got over 10,000 steps - 13,308, to be exact, in three walks. One to bring Will to school, and do a side trip to the pharmacy, one to No Frills, where Howard and I went to buy a chunk of bologna for supper - pan fried potatoes with bologna and beans (can’t order that at Denny’s), and the last to bring Will home from school. 

I also made a pan of brownies (cheated with a brownie mix) and a lemon pie. 

About the lemon pie. I cracked one egg, put the yolk in the pot, and the white in a bowl. Repeated that step with the second egg. But when I looked in the pot, this is what I saw. 

Just looked like one egg. I knew I had two in there, because I could see two sets of eggshell halves on the counter in front of me. I went ahead with the lemon filling anyway, hoping I wouldn’t find the first egg yolk  in my pocket later in the day. (I didn’t.)

So, all considered, this was one of the most normal days I’ve had in a long, long time. I still get some pain at times, mostly my hands and my right knee, but I can live with that. But getting my stamina back is a huge deal. 

So thankful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment