Saturday, September 2, 2023

September 2 - Roll out the easy, breezy, freezy days of autumn - the days of baking, hot chocolate, and stew...

 I wrote the following poem on one of my working days, when I had to leave really, really, really early in the morning for a one hour and twenty minute commute to work, and reverse that commute in the really, really, really late afternoon  

At 6am it’s 2 degrees

At 6pm, nineteen

So, go to work in winter coat,

Come home in shorts and T.

Don’t get me wrong, the sunshine

Will always make me happy,

But such a change in temperature 

Is really, really crappy. 

So, some things have changed over the years, such as the heat. We used to get a few days, maybe 3 or 4, in early August, mostly, when the temperature would rise to 30 degrees, give or take a few. We’d swelter and complain, as our store only had one set of doors, and big windows that didn’t open but just increased the inside temperature, turning the store into an oven, and no a/c. Customers would step inside, and turn around to get away from the heat. No lie. 

But now? Lots of 30 degree summer days. So I have to admit that kind of sunshine doesn’t make me quite as happy any more. 

I do however, love the upcoming season, blue skies, warm days and cool nights. I know it’s still a bit early to say goodbye to summer, but she has become a mildly unwanted guest!

No comments:

Post a Comment