Tuesday, September 19, 2023

September 19 - The more things change, the more they don’t.

As I was walking home this morning, after bringing Will to school, I realized that although things may change, they also stay the same. 

For example, I was listening to some tunes on my YouTube playlist, the AirPods in my ears picking up the music from the phone in my back pocket  

Well, it was 51 years ago (OH MY GOD - 51??) I remember walking to Trinity Cabins, also listening to tunes, although that music was drifting through the air from the boom box in my hand.

But - dontchya know - a lot of the music was the same. 

Brandy, (you’re a fine girl ….)

Brand New Key

Ben 

The Happiest Girl in the Whole USA

I could go on and on. But I won’t.

Of course, this wasn’t the only thing that changed but didn’t. A couple of years ago, I experienced the awful effects of something called Spontaneous Disembarkment Syndrome, which basically was like walking on a waterbed. It took me a few months to get back to a somewhat even gait, where  I could leave my walker first, then my cane, at home. I still have a bit of what I call the ‘wobbles’, especially when there are a lot of people around me, like holiday time at the mall or leaving a sky train or even walking.. People think we’re ‘cute’ as we stroll along hand in hand - what they don’t know if Howard wasn’t holding my hand I would probably wander into a pole, or onto the road, or somewhere I shouldn’t be. 

So I know you’re wondering. Back in the 70s, I didn’t have this affliction, just some of the symptoms, and only when I had a bit too many Tom Collins or Whiskey Sours. And of course, they would be gone in the morning, just leaving me with a bit of a headache. Maybe that was the beginning, who knows?

And of course, then I’d sometimes go to bed at 6 (am) and get up at 8 (am), whereas now I sometimes go to bed at 8 (pm) and get up at 6 (am). 

One thing that’s changed big time - I need more sleep now. 

But another thing that hasn’t changed - afternoon naps in the early  1950s, and afternoon naps now. 

In fact, even though it’s almost 11pm, I think I’ll just have a nap now. 

Nighty night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment