Friday, September 22, 2023

September 22 - There’s no telling where our little Nissan Micra will end up now! Destinations are unlimitless!

 Happy first day of fall! I sure love this weather, but according to the forecast, it’s soon coming to an end. In fact, the next 7 out of 9 days are supposed to be rainy. 

Well, I did something today I haven’t done in about 13 years, and I must say, it was like riding a bike, only it wasn’t a bike. 


Howard is very happy, I think. He will probably never want to drive again. 

As the rest of my day was pretty boring - after all, how can I top me driving to Walmart? - I went archive diving and found two rainy day posts to ease me back into the season. At least now, I don’t have to go to work in it, and I don’t have to do transit with it. 

****************

(1)

Some days are better over and done with. Best thing so far? I slept in until quarter after eight, which was unusual and very much appreciated. Then breakfast and an hour's dose of The Sopranos before I had to get ready for my appointment at LifeLabs to get my Holter Monitor installed.

Meanwhile, the rain was tumbling down in sheets, and the search for my umbrella was fruitless. Upstairs, downstairs, (in my night gown), I looked behind and under and over everything, before I realized that maybe probably and positively - Howard had packed the umbrellas and drove them to Steve's basement.

The rain also produced a huge number of people on the bus, and I ended up being a short stander-upper for a block on my first lap of the trip. Because I couldn't see where the bus was, I got off waaaay too early, and ended up clipping along half a block to the second bus, cane clicking, kitten-heels clicking, and slowly getting damp. Luckily enough, I made it to the next street minutes before the bus, and I was in plenty of time for my appointment.

If anyone laughs now, I will be very upset.

LifeLabs Lady: You don't have an appointment.
Me: Yes, I do. 10:30, Thursday, September 22. 2 Road and Blundell.
LLL: No. We only have one Holter Monitor and that's booked out for 11 this morning. Hang on.
LLL: (on phone....)
Me: waiting...waiting...waiting....my bus transfer runs out....waiting ....waiting.....waiting....my knee hurts....waiting...
LLL: Your appointment is at 2 Road and Westminster.
Me: No, the lady told me 2 Road and Blundell.
LLL: Well, you're supposed to be at 2 and Westminster. Can you get there by 10:30?
Me: No. I'm going home. I'll make another appointment.

I don't know what the other people in the waiting room thought when they saw this littler old lady clomp out, and hopefully they didn't hear anyone say F... It under her breath.

When I got home, I checked my notes. Gilbert Road. I was supposed to be at the LifeLabs on Gilbert Road. So if I had gone to 2 and Westminster, I still would have been f....ed, as there is no LifeLabs on 2 and Westminster.

Needless to say, I don't have a Holter Monitor. Maybe some day I will. 

*******************

(2)

The weather warning of the day is a Rainfall Warning, which makes a lot of sense, as it is a day I have to work, so I will be spending some of it standing outdoors waiting for a bus, which will probably be late, and will also probably be full of dripping wet people with dripping wet umbrellas, one of which will no doubt either drip on me as its owner stumbles down the aisle, or swipe across my leg in passing by. And to top it off, there's supposed to be high winds, so my umbrella, which was already turned inside out violently during our last wind/rain storm, will be in danger of losing its last remaining working ribs, rendering it into nothing more than a handkerchief waving and dancing above my head.

Anyway, weather aside, I seem to have once again succumbed to a pre-Christmas cold/flu/whatever, which is rendering me practically useless with no air space left between my neck and my forehead. My old friend Mr Buckley's new Mucous and Phlegm (aren't they perfect words for the stuff ?) syrup is utterly useless - with a name like that you'd think it would work well, as no one is going to buy it because it sounds good. It certainly doesn't taste good either, so it has nothing at all in its favour.

No comments:

Post a Comment