Thursday, September 21, 2023

September 21 - I’ve never played golf, but today I got a hole-in-one. Cake, that is. Intrigued? Read on …

 This last day of summer was a beautiful fall day - 10 chilly degrees in the morning, and lovely 23 degrees in the afternoon. Even though the sun felt warm, you could still find that autumn coolness in the slight breeze. 

So, not knowing how many more glorious days are left, we took ourselves down to Bear Creek Park for a picnic. 

I had made a batch of bread yesterday,


so of course I had to make egg salad for our sandwiches this morning. These, and the date squares I also made yesterday (I won’t bother posting that picture as it’s just too boring), went along with us, bouncing along in Howard’s backpack until we found a perfect spot to sit. Unlike most of our summer’s picnics, this time we chose a spot in the sun


Well, at least where I was sitting was in the sun. 

The park still had a lot of vibrant colours, but my photo taking skills didn’t do them justice .



On the way back to the car, I saw this interesting tree. 

It had lots of pods hanging, as you can see. I used my Seek app, and it is in fact not a tree at all. It’s a wisteria vine (I think you call it a vine), and that makes sense, as it’s only a few feet away from the garden entrance arch, which is covered with a massive wisteria vine that must have been growing for years. On further inspection, I found that this was a wandering extension of said vine, and not a solitary tree at all.

Just on the other side of this is the real Bear Creek. The creek I used to watch salmon in is actually not Bear Creek at all, but Quibble Creek, which also runs through Bear Creek Park, confusing me, obviously.


I know it’s not salt water waves rolling onto a beach, but it’s still pretty.

The most interesting thing from today though didn’t happen in the park.

When we got home, I made a chocolate cake, using my Bundt pan, which always does a terrific job of both baking and releasing. However, for some reason, -


this happened. At first I thought I put the oven rack in squish (I had removed it when I baked the bread), but both Nikkie and Howard said it was fine. So Howard finally figured that a part of the bottom of the Bundt pan, because it wasn’t flat, had kind of settled between the grids of the rack, resulting in this. 

And to add to the mystery-


- there was a hole through it. 

But it tasted very nice, so in the end - all good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment