Friday, June 1, 2012

June 1 - Happy New Year!


Well, looking back on the year, I will think positively and say, "Wow, 19 pounds, that's great - they came off early, but stayed off, which is a good thing." If I had lost, say 10 pounds or so every month, like I did back in July, I would now be 120 pounds lighter, and with my luck, most of that would have come off my brain, so I will consider myself happy. Because weighing 51 pounds probably wouldn't be a good thing, especially if we got a good gust of wind.

Well, if I had written a list for today, I  hope it would have looked like this:

  1. walk Chris to school
  2. sweep, tidy, and do dishes
  3. clean litter boxes
  4. do 2 laundries, wash, dry, fold and put away clean stuff
  5. put clean sheets and pillow cases on the bed
  6. make Apple Muffins and Peanut Butter Cookies
  7. do Meat Loaf, Mashed Potatoes (for me), French Fries (for Howard), and veggies for dinner
  8. stuff an Elephant (and no, we are NOT having Stuffed Elephant for a bedtime snack)
Because if it did look like this, I would have accomplished everything on it.

You'd think I would have learned by now to check a recipe for ingredients before I started to make it. When I saw the recipe for Apple Muffins, I knew what I could do with the apples before they started to attract members of the Fruit Fly Club. I started mixing up the dry ingredients and realized the recipe called for Lemon Rind - come on, now, lemon rind in an apple recipe? - and then the wet - and saw the recipe called for Apple Juice - which was a bit more understandable. No apple juice, but I did have applesauce, so I used some of that instead, and to make it a bit more liquidy I added some milk. Applesauce is a lot thicker than apple juice. I didn't know what to put instead of the lemon rind - if I had oranges I would have used orange rind - so I just drizzled some pancake syrup over the muffins before I put them in the oven. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

And I'm happy to tell you - they turned out quite fine, for a dozen needy muffins. I'm glad to say I still have an active role on the Taste Test Team.










No comments:

Post a Comment