Monday, June 18, 2012

JUNE 18 - Eagles (or lack thereof), Panini and Spiders

2 days down, 1 to go. I guess I'll muckle through it. No morning eagle this Monday, but my afternoon bus driver informed me that  he had actually thought that was an abandoned nest, as he hadn't seen an eagle there in years, and was surprised to see one a couple of times over the past few weeks. He seems to know a bit more about the birds than a former bus driver, who told me only males have white heads, and said this one may have gone looking for a good fishing spot. So, I guess from now on, I can go to sleep as soon as the bus leaves 22nd Street station in the morning, rather that staying sort of awake until after No 8 Road.

The best part of my work day was lunch. I went looking for something different other than the soup and sandwich Pauline and I usually share on Mondays - even though the Steveston Bakery makes the best soup (so far) and really good sandwiches, I thought we should try something new. So I went to Alegria Cafe on 1st Avenue to see what they had to offer.

Of course we ended up with Soup and Sandwich to share. But this sandwich was a Chicken Panini, with Bruschetta, Havarti, and Spinach. I'm not sure what kind of bread it was, but the sandwich was very yummy. The soup - Split Pea - needed a bit more seasoning, and wasn't as good as mine. Pauline thought she detected a touch of curry in it, but that escaped my taste buds - my allergies have me all stuffed up so everything was probably a lot tastier than I thought. However, I think it was a bit overpriced at just under $14,  so I probably won't be going back very often .. or very soon.
The spider plant wasn't part of the meal. I bought it at the thrift store for a buck fifty, and hope it lives long and prospers at our house.

So far on my Favourite List:
Steveston Bakery - Soup
The Cannery Cafe - Sandwiches, Carrot Cake
Steveston Coffee Co - Hot Chocolate

Steve called after I got home and into my jammies, and asked us up for supper. I felt pretty wiped, so decided to stay home, but Howard went, leaving me with a couple of evening hours to myself. Raisin Bread, Beans and Chocolate Pudding for my supper, and very few dishes to wash. See me smile. Now just got to get the coffee pot ready for the early morning brew, and it's beddy time.

No comments:

Post a Comment