Friday, June 22, 2012

JUNE 22 - Too Cold, Sports Day, and Bugs

I'm so glad the weather stayed nice for Chris's Sports Day. Lizzie and I walked down to cheer on the White Team - although the athletes were a wee bit unco-ordinated and didn't seem to care if they won any races, they were having a great time.
We cheered them on - Go, White Team, Go! - well, at least I did, Lizzie didn't see the entertainment value  - until I showed her a Hairy Granny caterpillar, which freaked her out and I ended up having to take her home.
I suppose I am a caterpillar racist. For example, I have no problem holding this type of caterpillar, and letting it crawl all over my arm, but I would do a Lizzie and run for a mile if one of these landed on my hand -
Pink isn't always cute and girly. Shiver. 

Anyhow, when I rescued her from the nasty caterpillars - yes, two, because when one of teachers came by, and I told him why she was upset, he reached down and picked up another to show her how easy they were to toss away - one minute she was standing on the grass, and the next she was up in my arms. So I brought her home - only to show her another wonderful piece of Nature in front of our house.

It's a bit hard to see, but there was s a big spider web here in front of the trees, and it had a big hole in the middle. I guess Miss Spider hadn't finished constructing it yet. Needless to say, Lizzie was really happy now to just stay indoors.

After lunch, I decided to take Breehy-hinny-brinny-hoohy-hah to Zellers, on the chance they may sell the foamie stuff you put inside your bicycle helmet when the original foamie stuff has crumbled away. Actually, I was going to be really nice and push Breehy up the hills, and then I was going to let her carry me downhills. I do try to be fair. 

I figured I would stop at the school and catch the last of the sports day fun on the way. Since I didn't want a whole schoolyard of children seeing me ride without a helmet (bad role model - or maybe, roll model?) and it's a pretty good downhill there (Breehy has squeaky brakes that would draw everyone's attention to the old woman with no helmet), I walked her to the field and caught the last few events, mainly 100 yd dashes and Tug O'War between the older kids. Then I hung around and walked Chris home. It was supposed to be home to his house, but he decided he would like to come to my house for just 3 minutes - his 3 minutes seem to be a lot longer than ours.

On the way here, it started to rain, and the wind started to get windier, so Breehy and I gave up our plans of going anywhere.
.
 
If we had, we would have been caught in heavy rain ... again. I guess I have to remind Howard to fix the gutter/downpipe connection in the back. He has two reasons it for not doing it  - when it's dry it doesn't need to be fixed, and he doesn't want to do it when it's pouring rain. 
  • Breakfast - Toast and Coffee
  • Lunch - Left  Over Rice from last ... month, maybe? week? and Raisin Bread
  • Dinner - Hamburger and Fries
  • Snacks - Orange, Chocolate Pudding
I think the rain has finally stopped. I guess the clouds are busy collecting more drips and drops for tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment