Saturday, June 2, 2012

JUNE 2 - a bit of this, a bit of that

Well, I sure knew how this day was going to turn out, when I asked Howard, who seemed to be just puttering around doing nothing if he needed something to do.

He replied, "I'm not doing anything, it's my day off."

Well, it was my day off too, but darned if I was going to waste it doing nothing. I'll be working for the next three days, and if I can get away with doing nothing then, I'll be very content. But when I'm home? Uh uh.

Since it didn't look like we were going to go off on an adventure, I filled my day up with lots of little somethings. I finished the elephant that was mentioned an last night's post ...
Flower Power Elephants
..and knitted a pair of matching bootees - not for the elephant, but for a little baby.
Baby Uggs

Then I checked on my garden. Not much needed watering because we had buckets of rain yesterday morning, but I did water the seeds the kids had planted a couple of days ago as they were under the eaves. And beside one of my new plants I found this
At first I thought it was just a piece of thread - but then it started to wiggle, and wave what I assumed was its head in the air like a cobra emerging from a basket. If it wasn't its head then it was probably suggesting I do something rude. I use my little trowel to place the dirt with it on top and trudged uphill to Steve's, thinking a landscaper with a RLT (Residential Landscape Technician) ticket and over 8 years of experience would know. He didn't. So I brought it part way home, not knowing if it was a beneficial addition to my garden or not. Hopefully it will be happy in the ditch.

The other side of the garden had prettier things, I knew it would be pretty when the sun was shining on it. Perched on the purple pail I got at the Thrift Store, it is, as Lizzie would say, "So bootifool."

Since we had absolutely nothing in the house for dinner, and nobody wanted to go to the store, and somebody was still enjoying his Day Off, I dragged myself to the kitchen and made Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Grated Cheddar (we had no cheese slices), French Fries in the deep fat fryer, Onion Rings in the oven, and Chinese Fried Rice - the first thing I had to do for that was open the box. Burp.

Now, if you've read a few of my flogs, you'll know my hubby is a Go To Bed Early kind of guy, so you'll be just as surprised as I was when he asked, about twenty to eight tonight, just as we were finishing dinner, if I wanted to go downtown Vancouver on the Sky Train. If I hadn't cared about hurting his feelings, I would have said, "Are you nuts? I am not going downtown on a Saturday night, I am not going downtown on any night, there's enough undesirables down there in the daylight and I'm not going to add to them ......"

So I just said no, and he didn't like that answer either. When I explained that I had to leave at eight-thirty in the morning to go to work, and I didn't have the dishes done yet, and it would cost us ten bucks to go, and why the f... didn't he mention going in the morning instead, as that would have been a much better and do-able thing - he just mumbled his way through to the living room to watch Nothing on TV.  (At least that's what he said he was watching when I asked him.)

How many of you have ever had an exercise bike you used as a clothes rack? Well, my bike isn't an exercise bike by any means, but it still has its uses.
The cotton will be for a Stay On Baby Bib and Baby Washcloths, but not tonight. Tonight I have to go to bed - and sleep away the rest of my Day Offs.




No comments:

Post a Comment