Monday, February 11, 2013

My Flog for February 11 - Family Day, Feeding the Multitudes, and a Bit of This'n'That

This is BC's first Family Day. This is good because 2/3 of our sons brought their families for dinner tonight (and I'm missing the 1/3 of son and family that live so far away), and this is bad because I don't get a stat, which means I miss an 8 hour shift's pay. Other than that, I do enjoy a Monday off, especially since I get to eat dinner long before Bones comes on. There are times when spaghetti and meat sauce don't look like spaghetti and meat sauce, especially when there is a dissected rotten corpse full of maggots on the TV screen in front of you.

However, tonight wasn't spaghetti night. Tonight was Sloppy Joe night, and sides to please. Let's see. Neil doesn't like salads, but Shannon does. Howard doesn't like Potato Cheese Boats, but Neil does. Steve will eat everything, and Nikkie will eat nothing. So I think I got everyone covered with my menu. It did keep me busy all day, however, starting with a bit of shopping and finishing with a ton of dishes.

Sloppy Joes, made from scratch, on toasted Kaiser buns. Potato Salad, Macaroni Salad, Coleslaw, Potato Boats with Green Onions, Tomatoes, Real Bacon Bits made from real bacon (by me), and shredded Cheddar and Mozzarella cheeses, and a super duper Spinach Salad, with the best dressing in the world - Renee's Sweet Onion Vinaigrette.

Add a bit of noise, rambunctiousness, carrying on, driving works, and you've got our Family Day celebrations.

Steve tried to cocoon himself away, but he's just simmering ....
Neil's looking up lyrics to The Highwaymen so he can make fun of Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson.
And of course, Howard is looking very scholarly while he solves his cryptograms.
I really believe Dominik was having a better time than it seems.
Shannon, Neil and Snoopy - okay, you guys, it's time to cheer up! We are having a fun day!
See? Clayton is full of fun.
And so is Tanner.
Lizzie has a swinging ponytail.
And Chris has a really big mouth.
Quiet time is nice - just a few minutes after this, everyone went home.
Here are the potatoes before I put them in the oven to melt the cheese. Yummy. I sure wish I hadn't started with salads, as I didn't have room for much else.
Now, on a completely different subject - this No Trespassing sign is probably not very effective. It didn't stop me from picking blackberries nearby last summer. Didn't see it then.
And in case we get short-taken on our way up to Steve's house, there are facilities. I want to bring them home, fill them with soil - flowers in the bowl, ferns in the water reservoir, and sell them as Flower Potties. No one will get them for me, as it seems no one else shares my dream.

  • Breakfast - Toast and Coffee
  • Lunch - a little bag of mixed crunchy thingies - pretzels, sun chips, cheezits .. whatever
  • Dinner - Spinach Salad, Potato Salad, Coleslaw, Sloppy Joe and half a Potato Boat
  • Snacks - Orange, Banana, Diet Pepsi, piece of Cherry Cake and 2 Kahlua filled chocolates

No comments:

Post a Comment