Thursday, February 14, 2013

My Flog for February 14 + Happy Valentines Day, A Trip To The Library, and CAKE

Mar Falton, everyone. According to Facebook, there were lots of flowers and cupcakes and chocolates and wine on the go today - some people even got Scottish Tablet. I usually get 70% off chocolates from Zellers a few days after the special day, but now Zellers isn't open any more I guess I can forget about buying me some of them - which is okay, I suppose, as my scales are hibernating underneath my bedside table until Easter Sunday. Howard actually said he was going to get me chocolates but didn't know where to buy any. Like anyone would believe that. I cooked him a really nice dinner, but then I ate it too, so maybe that doesn't really count either.

It was a drizzly day, but that didn't prevent me from going out. I do not want to spend any more complete days at home, drooling in front of the Food Network. I was going to take Breehy, but I don't think she likes the rain much - I might get soggy, but at least I won't rust. At least I hope not.

My trip of the day was to the library. I've had a Surrey library card for a few months, but haven't used it until today. So of up 134th Street I went, and through Holland Park. It was nice to see a few signs of spring there, like crocuses almost ready to bloom -
 - and Snow Drops already out and actually dropping. These didn't get the chance to pop up through snow, like many of their relatives do. I imagine they are happy about that.
And looky here - the daffodils are almost ready to pop - you can actually see daffodils in bloom, but you know they have been purchased at a nursery and planted in the cold cold soil. These are strong and free, just like the soil they grow in.
And whoop-de-doo, here we have - the first Cherry blossoms of the year! Yes! This is indeed a sure sign. Last year I was excited to see the very same trees popping pink against this wall too. This is becoming a habit.
So, Surrey Public Library, here I come. It was designed by Bing Thom architects, and they may own this picture that I am 'borrowing.' There is lots of construction going on around the library still - the new City Hall, plus a residential tower.
I picked up a few brochures in the foyer, and also got a bit of interest in this poster - aha - a writer's program. Maybe it's time to go back to school .....
 
Until I checked it out online and found out it costs $1900.00.

Not everything costs tons of money though. You can go to the library and watch a movie - for free. Who'd a thunk it?
 The library has lots of open space, lots of glass/windows, and was pretty quiet this afternoon.
 Top floor (4th) looking out over King George Boulevard.
After a not-so exciting afternoon browsing books on travel and history, I made a quick trip to Pricesmart for margarine and carrots, and headed home, my arms stretching out with heavy bags. I called Nikkie and she left to come to my rescue with Georgia, but she went up the street parallel to the street I was coming down, and by the time I got home, she was almost up to the library herself. So much for my communication skills. When she told Howard he reminded me of several times when I gave poor directions. Bless his heart, it must  make him feel so good to know he's so much smrter than me at all times. I, however, make a better grade at Sarcasm.

  • Breakfast - Toast and Coffee
  • Lunch - Spinach Salad, 3 dried apricots and a few raisins
  • Dinner - Pork Roast, which sweated silently and well in my slow cooker while I shagged off, Mashed Potatoes (Oh how I love thee!) gravy, and carrot coins, mini Upside Down Pineapple Cake with Dream Whip.
  • Snacks - Yogurt, Orange Juice
Mini Upside Down Pineapple Cakes
Melt 1 tsp margarine/butter in the bottom of each jumbo muffin pan thingie. Stir some brown sugar in melted butter. Cut out a section of a canned pineapple ring so it fits in the bottom, and add my marvelous muffin recipe, using half a cup evaporated milk and half a cup of the pineapple juice instead of the cup of milk.
Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or so.

Now, even though I used my muffin recipe, this is definitely not a muffin, but a pineapple cake, so it was completely fine for me to eat one. I haven't had a muffin since before Lent started. Because I gave up eating muffins for Lent. Giving up chocolate or pop wouldn't be as hard, as I don't eat or drink them every day, but muffins? Well, I've been eating them like they're going out of style, since I bake them almost every night for Howard's lunches. So that is a real hardship. I also think it's part of the reason my jeans are sooooo tight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment