Monday, February 18, 2013

My Flog for February 18 - Yummy Crumby Buns, and Treat Your Enemies With Kindness and Maybe They'll Let You Talk on Your Cell Phone While Riding the Bus

I didn't have to start work until 11:45 this morning, so I took the opportunity to pick up my Simply Knitting magazine at the Richmond Centre. I got off the bus at Saba Road, and landed almost directly at the door to this Chinese bakery. After reading many posts about Lindsay's Pineapple Buns on Richmond's 365 Days of Dining blog, I decided it was time to see why she loves them so much. (This is a great blog, by the way. She is funny, and entertaining, and has a great way with words.)

The  Kam Do Bakery looks good through the windows - but go inside and you'll get blown away with the aroma. I'm sure breathing alone here adds calories to one's daily intake. Oh boy. There are racks upon racks  upon racks of sweet and savory, so much to choose from.
 I didn't have time to study each and every one, but I did track down the Pineapple Buns (on the left) and the Coconut Buns (on the right.)
Now I know you are wondering why I pluralized the buns. That's because I bought two of each (four of them cost just over $4), and two of them are no longer with us. Pauline and I shared a Coconut Bun for our lunch, and I gave a Pineapple Bun away - to the bus driver I don't particularly like.

I got off work and rushed to catch the bus, after yet another really late customer who left her purchase until 2 minutes before 5:30, but the bus wasn't in its usual parking spot. It rumbled in about one minute before it was due to leave, and I felt sorry for the driver as he didn't have time to hit Subway for a snack, so I offered him a bun. He accepted gratefully - I don't know if he liked it or not, but he ate it as he drove out of Steveston. Then at a red light, he undid his seatbelt, and vigorously brushed off his lap and his seat. Seems the Pineapple Buns are a bit flaky.

Spring is near in Steveston, too, and the cherry trees on Chatham Street are popping pink.
Last night I found yet another reason I want Spring to hurry up - I opened the email bill that BC Hydro sent me for December and January. I know it was for two months, and I know it includes heat and lights - but $475 is not a bill I want to see again. YIKES. Especially since my feet are always cold.

  • Breakfast - Toast and Coffee
  • Lunch - Chili from Subway, half a Coconut Bun
  • Dinner - Beans with Wieners and Onions. It was pretty good, as I was pretty much starving, Yogurt with some canned Apricots
  • Snacks - Orange, Pineapple Bun - and it was very flaky indeed. I'm going to have to shake out my bra when I take it off.


No comments:

Post a Comment