Thursday, February 21, 2013

My Flog for February 21 - A Search for Savory, Quartet, and HUP She Goes

This morning, instead of sitting on my butt all day and watching the Food Network, I decided to put my feet to some use and go travelling. So off I went to New Westminster - there is a store there that sells some Newfoundland products, and Howard was hankering after some savory. I thought I'd phone first to make sure they had some in stock.

Now, this store sells mostly Caribbean Food, so between me and my 'accent' and the accent of the lady who answered the phone, it seemed to be a bit of a problem. She heard Mount Scio Savory as curry, and assured me they did indeed have curry powder. I spelled Mt Scio, I described savory, and when she finally 'got it' she was sorry to tell me that they didn't have any. Oh well. I decided to go anyway. They sell Purity biscuits.

So it was a cold and damp walk to King George Sky Train Station (as I didn't have any bus change to bus there) and then a quick trip across the Sky Bridge to New Westminster Station. 

This pic is taken from the overhead walkway - when I was off the train, I was on the wrong side of the tracks. I thought this is quite a nice yet unusual picture looking down at the tracks below. If you look sort of at the centre, you can see one of my destinations.
Before I went to the Landmark Cinema, I left the station and  crossed the street to see what the Salvation Army Thrift Store had to offer. On the way there, I passed The Keg - this used to be the old railway station. Pretty nice building - New Westminster has some lovely old homes, too, and I saw a few of them today.
I hit gold at the Thrift Store - I love this pic of (my?) three boys.
And then back through the rain to the cinema, where I stocked up on popcorn, pop and candy for the movie Quartet. It was good, but I must say, I thought it would be funnier. Oh well, the girl at cash didn't know if senior's rates started at 55, 60, or 65 - so she charged me senior's rate anyway - a mere $6 (seniors are 65, by the way, but I got away with it!)

On the move again, I passed by this plant creeping up a wire fence. Anyone know what it is, besides being  very brave and sturdy?
To get to the savory store, I had to get from Columbia Street to 8th Avenue - and it was all uphill. I knew it was a 2.2 km walk from the station, and I thought I could manage. It is actually a lot easier to walk up hill without pulling Breehy along.
I went a little out of the way to see if this building had a name or some identification on the other side, but it is just another dilapidated, empty structure.
 This beautiful winter garden graced the area between a stately home and the sidewalk.
 Isn't it wonderful?
And this tree is getting ready to pop out in big white blossoms - we had a Magnolia tree in our backyard when we lived in Richmond.
 This home is now a Convention centre - it also houses law offices and a spa.

I walked by a few parks - this one was very small, and seemed to be just the frontage of some sort of housing complex, but it had a cute little feller standing there.
 See?

 And across the street from Toronto Park, there is Simcoe Park.
Now I don't know about you, but I would much rather go to a right right tea house, especially since I don't like tea. Maybe a right right coffee house instead.


 I fell in love with this home - you can tell when a house is loved.
If you ever wipe your bum with toilet paper, chances are it's made in the mill that's producing all the smoke - it's the  Kruger  plant. On this side of the Queensborough Bridge they have a plant that makes toilet paper, and on the other side of the Fraser Bridge they have a sewage plant. Go figure.
 Climbing slowly uphill, I come upon this corner store and thought it had a fine name.
And farther along that street (another detour) I came across this church, which was built in 1910, which makes it 103 years old.
Next to the church is a drop in community centre, and they have these neat gardens on offer. Wonder if they serve Surrey too? Probably not. But if one had a shipwright husband and a landscaping son, one should be able to get on of her own. One would think.

 I didn't think I liked these cabbagey looking plants, but I must say, the ones I saw today were gorgeous!
 
This young gal was sitting in the window of a Navy and Army Surplus store. I thought her camo clothes were so cool, although I'm not really into guns.
And here is the store - Caribbean Market, where one can buy Newfoundland goodies. Who'd a thunk it?
These are not cans from Newfoundland, but they are one product that I had no interest at all in trying. Drinks made from Irish Moss - some flavoured with peanuts, others containing oats. Oh my. We sell dried moss in our store and it stinks. And oats belong in Date Squares.
 I walked all through the store, and wasn't at all surprised to see this - and it was nowhere near the curry aisle, either.
A farewell peak in the window showed the flag - made me feel like raising my voice -

When sunrays crown they pine clad hills ..... etc etc.
 Back to New Westminster and yet another house I'd like to live in.

Mostly  because of their yard decor - this is what I wanted, and no one in my nearby family would pick up the toilets for me. I could have spray painted them, too.
I really like this place too. I can imagine standing on the balcony in my robe sipping rong rong tea and maybe nibbling on a right right Jam Jam.

 And these I love - what a great way to wrap some-kind-of-utility-boxes.



Getting close to Moody Park - more cabbagey flowers and a Palm tree.
And a Totem Pole. There was no plaque telling the story of this totem, which is unfortunate, because totems do tell a story.


 My heart always seems to do a little flip whenever I see one of these magnificent old trees reaching the sky.
 Pretty in pink.

 And a tree here is babysitting a whole bunch of snowdrops.
The rain started again, so I was glad when the sky train station came into view. Back to Surrey, where I met Howard at Pricesmart and then got a ride home. That was okay, because my legs were ready to charge me with abuse by then. It's not only the walking, it's the uphill and the downhill that really got to them. Just hope I can make it up the stairs to get to bed in a wee while.

But before then - hmmm - what shall I have for a snack?
Well, this isn't my last visit to New Westminster, that's for sure. Still lots of discoveries to make!
  • Breakfast  - Toast and Coffee
  • Lunch - Medium Popcorn (I asked for butter, but never got any. If I had I would have had greasy fingers, and I didn't), Small Pop, and some Mini |Rollos. Nice lunch. 
  • Dinner - Chicken (Thanks to Mrs Pricesmart who cooked it for us) and Fries (Thanks to Howard who cooked them for us) and a small piece of Apple Pie (Thanks to Steve for buying it for us.)
  • Snacks - 2 Rum and Butter Candy, banana


No comments:

Post a Comment