Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My Flog for February 26 - A Chilly Stroll, Boats, Signs, a Bit of Storybrooke - All Good, Wha?

I left the house really early this morning, and ended up in Steveston at 8 o'clock, over an hour early for work. Even though it was brrrr cold and damp, I decided to walk around a bit before I settled in the store for the day.

There was quite a bit of activity - the set people were getting ready for a Once Upon A Time filming. Unfortunately today all the shooting was indoors, so no chance encounters with Prince Charming or Mr Gold. 

I walked past the corner where a McDonalds' Sausage and Egg McMuffin was calling my name, and walked past Steveston Bakery where muffins and scones were lying in wait. However I did stop by Heringers, a butcher/deli/ shop on Bayview Street - and saw some cool things - like this sign. 
 Yes, you may know, I'm an ex-smoker. I gave it up about 35 years ago and still wish sometimes I could stick one in my gob. But of course I won't. Just like I wouldn't get on this scale.
I fell in love with the piggy bench, and would love to own this, or one like it. Even just the little piggy on the ground.
 It was too early in the morning for the Prickly Pear to be opened, but a few birds were enjoying their winter garden. They didn't want to hang around to have their pictures taken though.
 The waterfront was very quiet this morning, and the sky showed a bit of promise.


I guess this boat makes waste.
Farther along the boardwalk was this wooden carving - I think this is a repeat sharing, but I really like this picture.


 A lot of benches have memorial plaques on the backrests - this one is my favourite. It made me wonder what would be on a plaque for me - the best one I could think of  was 'I told you I was sick.'
 Lots more boats around the corner, just sitting out the cold morning quietly.
Here's a side view of the cannery, with the Canadian Fishing Co building behind it. This is where all the Gold Seal salmon was canned back in the day. Now the Gulf of Georgia Cannery is an Historic Site, and you can take tours that show you how it operated in days of yore. Be warned - it's bloody cold in there.


 THE ICE HOUSE - The development of efficient refrigeration and the profitable market for fresh fish encouraged the construction of the Ice House to store salmon before transfer to the Canadian Fishing Company's home plant at the foot of Gore Street in Vancouver. Ice was also stored here to supply fish collector boats ( These are the words on the sign in front of the Ice House below.)
 Besides the tow truck form Storybrooke, which is usually in Steveston whenever there is filming, today I saw a vehicle I haven't seen since last season's filming -
The florist's truck. When I saw it the first time, they were shooting a Valentine scene - but it was in the fall here in my world.
 My circle walk almost completed, I took a little detour to visit the three people in front of the Cannery.

And then it was to Steveston Coffee Co for a nice cup of Hot Chocolate, and then to start my day, which consisted of pricing, stocking, and helping customers knit those bloody ruffle scarves. James from next door came by and put up the fluorescent lights, so I don't have to worry about these any more - and now I have 4 wonderful glorious days where I don't have to worry about anything, except what to do to fill them up!

  • Breakfast - Toast and Coffee
  • Lunch - Veggie Soup for Steveston Bakery, Fruit Tart
  • Dinner - Leftovers (hash) and Potato Salad - what a combination, eh? Acually I was chastised by my old buddy Chris (King) who told me I was 'gone Canadian' for using 'eh.' Seems I should keep to my Newfoundland roots and say (or tap) 'Wha?'
  • Snacks - Orange, Strawberries, Sprite


No comments:

Post a Comment